The Kinks

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
mfb

Re: The Kinks

Post by mfb »

The first time I ever heard what sounded like a real bad distorted guitar riff was the Kinks in "You really got me", then it seemed that just about every guitarist I knew was taking to their speakers with blades ...
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Pete Quaife and that bass...part two
E3kinks.jpg
and uber mod
k01020a.jpg
Superb group.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Mark is that you on that Vespa? :wink:
looks as though someones been siphoning petrol out of that mini van :roll:
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Jerry - Where are those photos of Pete and the Ric from?
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Mark is that you on that Vespa?
Nah Scotty, mine was Jetglo!
Pete Quaife - Kinks.jpg
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Jerry - Where are those photos of Pete and the Ric from?
Mike - I believe that the images are from here. http://kinks.it.rit.edu/misc/quaife/

Interesting site and tons of pictures.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Always wanted a Lammy li150 special but didnt get one this would have done me fine now i drive a ford mondeo and a l200 warrior not very Mod
is it?
http://www.scooterbbs.com/bbs/dcboard.p ... 1839&page=
Do you think i could get a Lighting mount on the front with a foxtail on the back MMMmm not good for a northern Soul Weekend :(
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

The solos in All Day and All of the Night and You Really Got Me are some of the best guitar solos ever recorded, imo. They are the template for what rock guitar should be; energetic, catchy, simple, barely under control.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Always wanted a Lammy li150 special but didnt get one this would have done me fine now i drive a ford mondeo and a l200 warrior not very Mod
is it?
Ha!, an LI or SX would be fine, but no good for the kids (actually, they would love it until it rained, or broke down). I've settled for one like this in a dangerous "misty lilac", ah well.
479077.jpg
I see that you are sporting personalised plates (SB05..). From my experience, that looks just the thing to be carting away the casualties from an all-nighter.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Back on topic, this is a smashing little read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinks-Village-P ... 851&sr=8-1

The Village Green etc. is a fantastic album, very influential. You can tell that Weller was listening to it when he wrote "All Mod Cons" - the outro to "A-Bomb" is plainly from "Last Of The Steam Powered Trains".

Talkin of mod/soul nights - I used to love "She's Got Everything". Great band.
k01.jpg
scotty

Post by scotty »

The solos in All Day and All of the Night and You Really Got Me are some of the best guitar solos ever recorded, imo
Totally agree these solos are the bench mark also Greg this is a gr8 thread the guitar lick that nobody forgets You Really Got Me would be a gr8 contender :wink:
scotty

Post by scotty »

see that you are sporting personalised plates (SB05..)
A Fluke but if it was DK8 would sound like Dec or ate SB would have worked but lets face it im not that wellheeled :!:But all the same well spotted :shock:
scotty

Post by scotty »

The Village Green etc. is a fantastic album, very influential. You can tell that Weller was listening to it when he wrote "All Mod Cons" - the outro to "A-Bomb" is plainly from "Last Of The Steam Powered Trains".
Totally agree Mark :!:
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Misfits is a fine record, kicks the livin' **** out of same era Stones lps.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Now how did I miss this thread?

Just the other day I bought The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society...and I did that after borrowing the Ray Davies tribute album This Is Where I Belong (highly recommended). I've loved the Kinks since I was a kid in the 60's and I find myself admiring them more and more as the years pass. There are several old favorite artists of mine that don't seem so great in retrospect...I guess that says a lot about the quality of the Kinks' work.

I always liked them based on their many radio hits, but I became a hardcore fan when I found myself listening to the album cuts on Lola vs Powerman. Seems to me that some of their best songs never charted. Songs like "Picture Book", "Big Sky", "Who'll Be the Next in Line", "Powerman", "The Contender", "Get Back in the Line", "Starstruck"...on and on. Just brilliant songs and they are brought to perfect realization by those unmistakably crisp Davies voices.

If anyone likes The Kinks but hasn't really dug deep, go for it. Every album has at least two or three songs that you will be glad you finally heard...you'll wonder why you never heard that one...and this one...

A timeless group.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”