David Bowie - The First Five Decades

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
scotty

Re: David Bowie - The First Five Decades

Post by scotty »

Does anyone know whats the story of Steve strange on the ashes to ashes video? Just thought id ask cause i dont know.Or should i just fade to grey?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Sorry I personally did not know any background about his appearance in the video, but apparently the following is at least some of the story.

"The video clip for "Ashes to Ashes" was one of the most iconic of the 1980s. Costing £250,000, it was at the time the most expensive music video ever made. It incorporated scenes both in solarised colour (helped by an innovative Quantel Paintbox technique) and in stark black-and-white, featuring Bowie in the gaudy pierrot costume that became the dominant visual representation of his Scary Monsters phase. Also appearing were Steve Strange and other members of the London Blitz scene, forerunners of (later participants in) the New Romantic movement that was heavily influenced by Bowie's music and image.

Bowie described the shot of himself and the Blitz Kids marching towards the camera in front of a bulldozer as symbolising "oncoming violence". Scenes of the singer in a space suit - that suggested a hospital life-support system - and others showing him locked in what appeared to be a padded room, made reference to both Major Tom and to Bowie's new, rueful interpretation of him. Contrary to received opinion, the elderly woman lecturing Bowie at the end of the clip was not his real mother. Record Mirror readers voted "Ashes to Ashes" and Bowie's next single, "Fashion", the best music videos of 1980."
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

There were two camps back then;

1)The I [try to] sing like Robert Plant

or

2)The I [try to] sing like Bowie
scotty

Post by scotty »

Thanks Brian, I often wondered if there was another reason that S Strange appeared.Cheers mate!
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

I thought that Tin Machine stuff was very interesting too.

There are lots of people who tried to sing like Robert Plant, that whole '70s hard rock '80s heavy metal thing, but I haven't really heard anyone that even comes close to sounding like David Bowie, except for maybe Peter Murphy or Steve Kilbey at certain times, but of course they have their own styles.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I'm a big Bowie fan, always have been, but he did "adopt" a lot of Brian Ferry's schtick.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

When you have the same circle of friends you are bound to be influenced in some manner I suppose. Roxy Music was a great band.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

That must explain Mick Jagger "adopting" Brian Ferry's girlfriend!
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Simply one of the greatest songwriter/performer/producer etc over the last 35 years.

I still love the 70's stuff, from '72 to '77which is him at his classical best imo...
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

An excerpt from Wikipedia

"Ferry was known to date very beautiful women, who often appeared as cover models on the Roxy Music albums. Ferry dated singer and model Amanda Lear, who was photographed with a black jaguar for the cover of the For Your Pleasure album. She later went on to date and create music with David Bowie"

Ferry was miffed when Hall took up with Jagger. What 's a girl to do when your circle of friends include a whole pile of rich and famous rock stars? Sorry I could not resist temptation. :twisted:

wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

You can't blame her...

Could you live with the name Jerry Ferry? :shock:
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

When I was a long-haired, platform shod, ear ring wearing freak in High School in the early '70's, I was called something like that a few times.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Well, there it is: it can be done. 8)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Bowie stands out as one of the very few artists to be considered avant-garde and still be commercially successful.

Like anyone trying to push the envelope he had his fair share of clangers - there are some albums that have just one or two brilliant tracks and a whole lot of filler. I feared that following "Let's Dance" he was in danger of becoming the "Thin White Duck", but he managed his usual trick of transformation and regained his artistic credibility, although the magnitude of the commercial success he enjoyed '70s has become impossible to replicate.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

shamustwin wrote:When I was a long-haired, platform shod, ear ring wearing freak in High School in the early '70's, I was called something like that a few times.

Too funny :lol: Thanks for a really good laugh.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”