Finding Rickenbackers In Canada

Reports from Canada
stubby
Intermediate Member

Re: Finding Rickenbackers In Canada

Post by stubby »

I saw one hanging in Long & McQuade, Burlington a couple months back, a 360 MG. About a year ago, Steve's in Toronto had a couple too but I think they were spoken for (a 330 and 360 if I recall). I too don't like the vibe in Steve's. In any event, it's rare you see Ricks hanging around here, except at vintage stores like Capsule or the 12th Fret.There's a guy here in Hamilton, MES Music, who has a 330 FG hanging in a glass case. It's from the late 80s and the guy seems reluctant to part with it although he has nothing but bad things to say about Rickenbacker generally. He's a strange guy and I may have posted about this shop a couple of years ago. Sometimes he has a chicken running around the shop and a bald, patchy dog. Not sure what the deal is with the guitar. It's in great shape but, if I recall correctly, he was asking way too much for it and wouldn't budge on the price. I talked to him about it a couple of years ago though so I could be mistaken. I was in there a few months ago and the guitar was still there. It's a shame it can't get into somebody's hands.

Where is FBass? I've lived in Hamilton for over 15 years and I don't know of this shop!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

MES is the place that had the silver 610 on eBay a couple of years ago.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

The F-bass shop is really called The Guitar Clinic.. Down on McKinstry Street in the north end. They closed the retail end of things about 6 years back. Although the shop is still there making basses. Lou Furlenetto reopened up on Concession about two years back. I bought my 1977 320 from them in teh mid eighties when they were still on King William Street, also a 70's era Hofner Beatle Bass.

MES on Parkdale was an authorized RIC dealership in the 90's. At one time I can remember 4 or 5 of them hanging on the walls, mostly 360's and 330's. Again as said the guy who owns and runs it is a wee bit uptight....

There was a JG 330 for $1800 at Long and McQuades in Burlington until last month... Anyone know who snapped it up?

Brian
from Snowy Hamilton
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Ah yes, the Guitar Clinic. Mike Spicer, a luthier and old bandmate/friend of mine (he custom built me a lovely octave mandolin about 8-9 years ago while still at the Guitar Clinic) is back working out of the site, but he's available only by appointment now. FBass must be a similar set-up - not a full retail store?
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Mike's place was the Peg Head on King street, (which sadly closed up last year)... He restored a 1949 Framus Archtop for me.. A very Riclenbackerish looking guitar in a weird kind of fire glow... Off topic but here is a picture of it so that you can see what I mean..
1949 Framus Archtop - "Queen"
1949 Framus Archtop - "Queen"
I used to occasionally Jam with his band the Swinish Multitude back in my Celtic folk days in the early 90's - mostly at the Lionshead pub. Mike used to play that gorgeous handmade mandolin with all the scrolling and engraving
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
lyric_girl

Post by lyric_girl »

bitzerguy wrote:I have had zero luck with stock at Steves here, just bad timing on my part I guess. I was there last week and the salesman told me they now only sell them through special order, no more stocking. Every one I have seen shipping to them is spoken for. Their prices are currently running 30-45% over the Ric list price (after accounting for currency conversion, transport and customs brokerage).
This is quite true. I ordered my 360-6 JG on September 19 with ETA of 09/09-03/10. Steves in Toronto isn't bad once they know that you know what you're talking about. L&M on the other hand wants pretty much list for a Ric. Can you say NOT!
'10 360 JetGlo
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Brian, I was in the Swinish Multitude in the early 90s! They went through a few guys but I was with them from about 1994-1996. I played guitar and sang for them. I quit because we just had a daughter and I was in school, and bla, bla, just too busy.

I had a chat with the guy at MES a couple of years ago and he said he quit becoming a Rickenbacker dealer because he found them too difficult to deal with! Irony, that.
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

And by the way, Mike is still available, by appointment at the old Guitar Clinic digs after the Peghead closed. I think he's pretty swamped though. Also, Lynn, who used to work at the Peghead is now working out of Mountain Music and has experience with Rics. Great place to go if you need some basic work done on yours. If she feels out of her depth, she won't hesitate to say, "Sorry, I'm not going to do that to this guitar!"
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

The accordion player from the Swinish Multitude played on my CD - Nelson Stewart... I see to remember the friont guy played a battered old ovation... Would that have been you Bill?

Just to keep it RIC related. There is a nice JG 360 in Vancouver on ebay.. price just dropped too.. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0297033948

Always great to avoid paying customs and duty!

Brian
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Yes, Nelson was in the band and I was the guy with the Ovation! There was also Giles on drums, Mike on mandolin, and John our bass player. The Ovation is a black thin body (a 1528 Ultra) from the late 80s. I still have it though it has lost any oomph it had. Frankly, it sounds thin and weak now. It used to have more power and gusto when plugged in (it was never anything acoustically) but not anymore. I keep it at school as my "lesson guitar." The kids think it's a great guitar because it looks so cool. I tell them I look like Paul Simon when I play it and they stare at me blankly.

Ric content...none...but this is a pretty entertaining exchange!

Small world indeed.

Return to “Canadian Chapter: by Dean Steglia”