Intermediate Member

Re: The Official Fantasy Reissue Thread

Post by jch »

59/60 360F 8)
collin

Post by collin »

+1 on the 1993's

I hear plenty of people want them too, and as Mark said...production would be a breeze....c'mon Ric!! (after the backlog is history?)

Cheers,
-Collin
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Combo 850.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

collin wrote:+1 on the 1993's

I hear plenty of people want them too, and as Mark said...production would be a breeze....c'mon Ric!! (after the backlog is history?)

Cheers,
-Collin
Hell, I'm in such a hurry for a 1993/12 that I'm game for butchering a 1997 and adding a new neck to it and adding binding, 360/12C63 bridge, newer 330/12 nut and "R" tailpiece to it!
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

JakeK wrote: Hell, I'm in such a hurry for a 1993/12 that I'm game for butchering a 1997 and adding a new neck to it and adding binding, 360/12C63 bridge, newer 330/12 nut and "R" tailpiece to it!
I guess you could just remove the wings and some of the maple and glue some new ones on, then shape the whole thing into a 12-string headstock...it would be major surgery, but I saw a 325v63 once that was converted to a 12-stringer.

Plus, you'd have to find a 1997 first! :lol: :wink:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:Hell, I'm in such a hurry for a 1993/12 that I'm game for butchering a 1997 and adding a new neck to it and adding binding, 360/12C63 bridge, newer 330/12 nut and "R" tailpiece to it!
...but you were against adding a 3rd pickup to one?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Like I said, it all depends on the condition of the 1997. If it's a player, then it can go for a new neck/3rd pickup. If it's in mint to near mint condition, then it stays the way it is.

John, I see you got yourself a MG 1997. Care to shed some light on it? :D
2ricks

Post by 2ricks »

325/12
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

362/12
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

dpowell wrote:
JakeK wrote: Hell, I'm in such a hurry for a 1993/12 that I'm game for butchering a 1997 and adding a new neck to it and adding binding, 360/12C63 bridge, newer 330/12 nut and "R" tailpiece to it!
I guess you could just remove the wings and some of the maple and glue some new ones on, then shape the whole thing into a 12-string headstock...it would be major surgery, but I saw a 325v63 once that was converted to a 12-stringer.

Plus, you'd have to find a 1997 first! :lol: :wink:
It's actually much more difficult to make and shape a usable neck from scratch, than it is to build a body.

At what point, though, does it cease to be a genuine Rick and become a knockoff of dubious origin?

You may build a perfect replica, Twenty or fifty years down the line, your "heirs and/or assigns" find Grandpa's old 1993 in a case in the garage, and it goes up for sale as a "Rare and genuine Rickenbacker Rose Morris 1993".

Oops...not good for them, the purchaser, or Rickenbacker, either. The bulk of the monetary benefit could go to the sellers, which contravenes the letter and intent of the intellectual protection that RIC deserves and has aggressively backed for decades upon decades.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

jingle_jangle wrote:
It's actually much more difficult to make and shape a usable neck from scratch, than it is to build a body.

At what point, though, does it cease to be a genuine Rick and become a knockoff of dubious origin?

You may build a perfect replica, Twenty or fifty years down the line, your "heirs and/or assigns" find Grandpa's old 1993 in a case in the garage, and it goes up for sale as a "Rare and genuine Rickenbacker Rose Morris 1993".

Oops...not good for them, the purchaser, or Rickenbacker, either. The bulk of the monetary benefit could go to the sellers, which contravenes the letter and intent of the intellectual protection that RIC deserves and has aggressively backed for decades upon decades.
A good point, and I've given it some thought in the past. I tend to support modification. Not only has Rickenbacker been building and selling perfect replicas for years, Fender and Gibson make "reliced" reissue guitars that look just like the real thing. We've all seen the '80s and '90s guitars that come up on eBay as 'genuine '60s vintage.' It all comes down to a "buyer beware" kind of situation.

I know some don't share this belief, but I think prices will fall dramatically in 20-50 years anyway when interest in vintage guitars wanes.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

dpowell wrote: I know some don't share this belief, but I think prices will fall dramatically in 20-50 years anyway when interest in vintage guitars wanes.
That's a pretty safe blanket statement, Dan. But I tend to want to qualify this sort of sweeping prediction and temper it with a bit of empiricism. Let's see if you agree:

I think that in some ways, we are in a "Golden Age" of guitar manufacturing and building, whether your perspective is as buyer or collector or player, or ? There is a lot of "stuff" available at any price point imaginable, and most of it is evanescent or ****.

Will a standard production 2007 Strat ever be worth more than its initial cost? Only if it passes through the hands of another SRV or JL. Relics? There are already too many of them to fill future supply.

Celebrity guitars and rare, well-crafted low-production items or one-offs will increase in value at a rate exceeding inflation, barring a complete global reversion to the Jurassic era.

In other words, supply and demand, coupled with appreciation and legendary status.

And, for a lesson in hype, take a gander at the "Duane Allman Goldtop" cover story in November's VG.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

From the collector's standpoint, I think the true 'golden age' (of the electric guitar, at least) was between the late '50s and the late '60s, as evidenced by the astronomical value of some of those guitars today, the high amount of reissues of said guitars, and the fact that so much attention and interest is focused on them.

Why? I think it's because there are a lot of people around today who loved the music made with those guitars and the artists who made it. Those who feel nostalgia for those days now also have the money and time to indulge in their hobby.

Will there be enough demand for a Rickenbacker 1993 in 2058 to justify 2008 prices? By that time it will have been nearly a century since Pete Townshend played one with The Who. Today's society is very influenced by the '50s and '60s, but I think that will change.

From a player's standpoint, I certainly agree that guitars are the best they have ever been, and can be made better and cheaper than ever before. Players will continue to pay a premium for quality and sound, but I see the phenomenon of vintage guitar collecting slowing as the classic age of rock and roll fades.

Ultimately, it's really just idle speculation. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”