Register Question

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Re: Register Question

Post by gibsonlp »

Correct :)

Or:

;)

Your idea is much cheaper though...

Although I saw many blurred photos that were taken using a tripod. Many people think that it's enough and forget that when they click the button - they shake the camera. Basically what I am trying to say is that even a tripod needs some know how in order to get sharp pictures (I am talking about exposures of up to 1 second or so).
So long and thanks for all the fish!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Guys. I shutter when I think of the number of awful photos I have taken over the years. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I just noticed the 360 headstock picture's been added to my 480's record :P

I got a Sony DSC-W55 - got it some two years ago. It's okay but cheap Olympus models outperform it already... I got a tripod... and I got an ugly balcony on the same side as the rest of my apartment... plus insane neighbours - the Ricks are definitely much safer inside, trust me! Maybe once they've moved next year...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Ooops :)
And I am sorry if I have offended you in anyway, I did not mean to pass a judgment on you as a photographer, I simply said that this specific image was a bit blurry and could be scaled down without losing details.
Although I am sure that putting the wrong head on the wrong guitar is worse than having a blurry image :)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

gibsonlp wrote:And I am sorry if I have offended you in anyway, I did not mean to pass a judgment on you as a photographer,
Ah, no offence taken, Gil... about the absence of my photographic skills, that is :wink:

I didn't get the thing about 1 or 2 stops down or the 1/40 bit - maybe that's why I got the camera on auto mode all the time :oops:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

gibsonlp wrote:Correct :)

Or:

;)

Your idea is much cheaper though...

Although I saw many blurred photos that were taken using a tripod. Many people think that it's enough and forget that when they click the button - they shake the camera. Basically what I am trying to say is that even a tripod needs some know how in order to get sharp pictures (I am talking about exposures of up to 1 second or so).
A cable release is just as important, something I consider integral to having a tripod. :)

One of these days I'll get a 5D; probably by that time it will be called a 21D! :lol:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jps wrote:A cable release is just as important, something I consider integral to having a tripod. :)
Anything wrong with using the 10 s count down setting? At least one doesn't need to go out and get a cable - if it's possible to connect one to the camera at all!
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

A timer is just fine, I don't use a cable too, but my camera has 2 timer settings, the default (10 secs iirc) and a short one (2 seconds) especially for these cases.
Although you can't really teach photography over the net, here are a few steps that might help you get instant improvment with your images:
1. Put your camera in "AV" mode
2. Set the iso to 100
3. Set the aperture to f/5.6 (2 stops down from your wide open f/2.8) and let it set the shutter speed automatically.
4. Put the camera on a tripod
5. Compose your photo
6. Make sure your focus is correct
7. Shoot using a timer to avoid camera movement when you press the button.

You should see a big jump in quality in terms of sharpness, chromatic aberration and noise (although there isn't much difference between ISO 125 to ISO 100...)

Edit: I now see you don't have manual controls in your camera, that's a shame...
Perhaps the camera will choose a small aperture on macro mode, I suggest trying it instead of the missing "AV" mode (and skip #3 as you can't set your aperture)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

gibsonlp wrote:Edit: I now see you don't have manual controls in your camera, that's a shame...
I have some manual settings on it so I'll try to follow it as far as possible - thanks for the tips :D

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”