Another Alternate Yes....

The genius of Chris Squire
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Another Alternate Yes....

Post by jps »

I saw this guy in '07, he was doing just fine for an old geezer! 8)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

To put the 80s Yes albums into perspective, listen to Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away. It was the 80s and Yes was looking to reinvent themselves with a new generation. I think they did a credible job of it. The music is not in the classic Prog vein, not the sweeping writing and melodies, but it can stand on it's own.
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

I don't think many band that were huge in the 70's went into the 80's and came out alive. Kinks, Stones, The Who, Genesis all fell apart. One group resurfaced and I was pleasantly surprized by was King Crimson. I missed John Wetton and his bass, but Tony Levin was tearing it up on the Stick and Belew could make his axe sound like anything he wanted.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

08 Ric 4003 wrote:I don't think many band that were huge in the 70's went into the 80's and came out alive....
Twelve hundred people in Ft. Pierce couldn't disagree with you more... That's the last kick of this dead horse from me!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

john said...listen to Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away.

ronbo replies...a few powerful tunes on that solo disc.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

yes,Rabin's "can't look away" (the song) is one of my favorite,anthemic hard-prog-esque numbers. i am hoping he gets back into doing songs,instead of soundtracks. (i have not enjoyed any of his soundtrack work that i have heard).....
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:john said...listen to Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away.

ronbo replies...a few powerful tunes on that solo disc.
Got that one, plus a demo LP of his that I found at a swap meet in Chicago. It's all 80's power rock stuff, from around 1979, I believe. (Trevor was ahead of his time!)

Back in the 'burgh after five beautiful days in Florida with family, friends and others... Had a great time with Tony & Janey in Ft. Pierce. This doesn't get old for me. Have to admit that we were eyeing up property "for sale" signs, but not moving back to the sunshine state anytime soon - Sorry Tony, but thanks for dinner! :)
bassically good girl

Post by bassically good girl »

just_bassics wrote:
Have to admit that we were eyeing up property "for sale" signs, but not moving back to the sunshine state anytime soon - Sorry Tony, but thanks for dinner! :)
Hey Tony....I'm still working on him.....Thanks for a wonderful evening....We will need to do it again soon !!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bassically good girl wrote:
just_bassics wrote:
Have to admit that we were eyeing up property "for sale" signs, but not moving back to the sunshine state anytime soon - Sorry Tony, but thanks for dinner! :)
Hey Tony....I'm still working on him.....Thanks for a wonderful evening....We will need to do it again soon !!!
If you end up moving, remember to lay in a stock of crocodile repellent. :wink: :lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:remember to lay in a stock of crocodile repellent. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Pet chickens? :mrgreen:
ram

Post by ram »

So Jon seems to have calmed down a bit about the whole thing:
http://www.realrocknews.com/yes-and-jon ... rate-ways/
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

When I saw Jon on his last solo tour, it was a bit obvious to me that, although his voice sonded great and he was in high spirits, he did not seem to have the energy to sustain a full tour with a band such as Yes behind him. I did my share of live sound engineering, (eight years, six nights a week) and I learned to detect many things from the wide range of performers I mixed. While Jon was at home and comfortable in a small theater performing solo acoustic music, I didn't at any time get the feeling that he could handle a Yes tour. Just my opinion.

Other factors may well be at play, too, as any outsider can't be privy to contract negotiations, etc... but it does seem that Jon's days as the singer / songwriter for Yes may be over. As a Yes fan and Jon Anderson fan, I still hold out hope that they can get together at some point to produce one more masterpiece... maybe? If it's half as good as The Ladder, which I still love, I'll be happy.

This interview shows Jon's gracious side and proves he can still come back with positive energy after what must have been a very sad and frustrating period for him, with his health failing and Yes out on tour with another singer. Whatever he choses from this point on, I hope gets 'round to putting it on a CD so we can all share - He says his best work is still to come... :)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

just_bassics wrote:When I saw Jon on his last solo tour, it was a bit obvious to me that, although his voice sonded great and he was in high spirits, he did not seem to have the energy to sustain a full tour with a band such as Yes behind him. I did my share of live sound engineering, (eight years, six nights a week) and I learned to detect many things from the wide range of performers I mixed. While Jon was at home and comfortable in a small theater performing solo acoustic music, I didn't at any time get the feeling that he could handle a Yes tour. Just my opinion.

Other factors may well be at play, too, as any outsider can't be privy to contract negotiations, etc... but it does seem that Jon's days as the singer / songwriter for Yes may be over. As a Yes fan and Jon Andeson fan, I still hold out hope that they can get together at some point to produce one more masterpiece... maybe? If it's half as good as The Ladder, which I still love, I'll be happy.

This interview shows Jon's gracious side and proves he can still come back with positive energy after what must have been a very sad and frustrating period for him, with his health failing and Yes out on tour with another singer. Whatever he choses from this point on, I hope gets 'round to putting it on a CD so we can all share - He says his best work is still to come... :)
Very well said, Jim.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

#1.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yet more change - there seems to be reason to believe that Geoff Downes and not Oliver Wakeman will be behind the keys for the next phase of Yes... :shock:

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”