Close To The Edge - bass tracking analysis

The genius of Chris Squire
walker
Advanced Member

Re: Close To The Edge - bass tracking analysis

Post by walker »

Welcome, Gerben! A new-B to the RRF AND Yes! So much to discover in the related worlds.

Album recommendations for Mr. Bielderman? I would say start at the beginning with the eponymous first album 'YES' if you haven't already.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Welcome Gerben and um, Yes, you do have a lot of great music ahead of you. I think I'm with Mark and suggest you listen to their releases in the order they came out to watch them evolve as both musicians and in composition. There are many "sounds" of Yes, along with list of members, and each one is unique but still screams Yes. And Chris is the common denominator in all music labeled Yes. ABWH was a stub off the Yes path. You are in for a treat.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

(After listening to AYAI under the headphones a bit, I'm thinking that there's a good possibility that the D-intro could be the fretless instead of the Rick.)
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

That opening minute of Khatru, and, from 6.20 on, is the defining Squire/Rickenbacker bass combination in my humble...
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Mark,

You have DEFINATELY --"Sunk My Battleship"!!!!!!!

I have listened to this album SO many, many times......and NEVER would have come up with your finding(s).
I know every note of it--in my head--and I CAN say that right from the start I noticed the difference in his bass tone.
Chris's bass sounds VERY different on this album, and I have wondered why that is so. I have ALWAYS assumed the Rick was
his one and only on this masterpiece.

But......a Fretless???????? Again....I had NO idea he was/is so proficient on that puppy!!!!!!!
And don't get me started on his double-tracked basses thing!!!!

Gosh.....the things you learn here........... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(At least I picked up on the difference in his tone......)

Lefty4003s8

Do NOT drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica, OR, assume all basses you hear are fretted!!!!!!!!!!
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
8mileshigher

Close To The Edge - bass tracking analysis

Post by 8mileshigher »

Mark, your succinct analysis of CTTE is really cool and makes an enjoyable album so much more enjoyable to dig into it like you have. 8) 8)
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

It was the admiration and fanship that pulled me there - I couldn't help myself!

Squire's done some really cool stuff with the multi-tracking of his Rick since 'The Yes Album' and maybe even earlier than that. The subtle arpeggiated chords on 'Heart Of The Sunrise', the giant distorted bassline on 'Wurm,' and HELLO: 'The Fish'. Pretty ground-breaking stuff there with including more than one bass part in a song. But the use of the fretless on CTTE was really interesting in that he was using two basses for just one part. (with small exceptions) I'm sure there's tons of bass mayhem going on within 'Tales...' - I haven't given that as close a listen as CTTE, but I know there's fretless on at least one of those four tracks - and it's more apparent since he's not doubling it with the Rick.

And I hear you, Wints, on the iconic status of Siberian Khatru. 'Roundabout' got me wanting to play a Rick, but Khatru is the riff I always find myself jamming on. Makes you ponder the fact that someone actually wrote that - what possessed Squire to come up with that run!!! Just too cool. And that plucked harmonic section - fuggedabowdit!

On some of the Yes rarities, I thought it was interesting to discover that sections of their big 'America' jam ended up in Roundabout. That version of 'America' is on their 'The Word Is Live' CD set.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”