OK Teckies....I need some assistance.

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: OK Teckies....I need some assistance.

Post by doctorwho »

cjj wrote:Gary, I deleted the link to the other forum as it's against the rules. Sorry about that...
No problem, I forgot about that (even when it's just a link to information and not to a contentious diatribe about subject xyz ... :roll: :lol: ). :)
cjj wrote:PM with other forum link sent...
Thanks for doing that for me, CJ. 8)

Jonathan's explanation is exactly how I interpreted the information on the wiring. :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

I should add that there are also jacks that have built-in switches rather than using the shaft of the plug to complete a circuit. Here's an example:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Jack.html

So you need to determine whether yours is a regular stereo jack or something different. If its just a regular stereo jack you probably don't need to look for Peavey NOS, as long as you get one long enough to fit.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jdawe wrote:
So I take it, this isn't a good first attempt to try? I'd really like to get it working again...
I don't think this will be too tricky a project, but you're going to need to get the right part first - I'm now pretty confident that you need a stereo barrel jack, rather than the mono jack you got on eBay.

The stereo jack will have two different connectors on the back side - one for the tip and one for the ring of a stereo plug - plus a third connector on the side for the sleeve. If you look at how it is connected now and follow the wires back, I think you will find that the wire connected to the ring lead goes to the battery, the wire connected to the tip lead is your signal wire, and the two wires connected to the sleeve lead are ground. Once you figure out which wire is which, sticking in the new jack and wiring it up the same way shouldn't be too tricky.
Jonathan,

I dropped the ball on this one. Finding the part I think is going to be the trick. I wanted to take some pics of this because I'm pathetic with this stuff. :(

Return to “The Low End”