Ohhhhhhh 12-string bass....

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ram

Re: Ohhhhhhh 12-string bass....

Post by ram »

12stringbassist wrote:(this one ISN'T mine).
Sorry Ian/Kenny... I just assumed from who posted the picture..... regardless still a nice bass.

Have 12s ever had string sets tuned to like 5th?, 7th? or 9ths? There were a couple of threads around where this was done with the D & G strings on an 8. I have played around with it a couple of times. Just was wondering what kind of effect it might have here on a 12.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

weemac wrote:You do have to flaten your grip on a twelver, not the best way to play as it puts your hand in a weakened position to start with.. But with a few asprin it gets easier....

Eden.
Do you place the aspirin between your fingers and the strings or under the strings?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:
weemac wrote:You do have to flaten your grip on a twelver, not the best way to play as it puts your hand in a weakened position to start with.. But with a few asprin it gets easier....
Eden.
Do you place the aspirin between your fingers and the strings or under the strings?
Capsules or tablets? I'd wonder if the dust coming off the tablets might, well... :mrgreen:
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

You know I just can't think of a funny comeback at these comments...

Nightshift brain...

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

ram wrote:Have 12s ever had string sets tuned to like 5th?, 7th? or 9ths? There were a couple of threads around where this was done with the D & G strings on an 8. I have played around with it a couple of times. Just was wondering what kind of effect it might have here on a 12.
This next comment is about guitars, but it would apply to basses as well. Several folks have experimented with different tunings of the octave strings to good effect, most notably David Gilmour.

Following logical overtone structure, the experiment that would come to mind to really fill in some texture would be to make the third string either 2 octaves or an octave + fifth, so the tuning would be:

E-e-e'
A-a-a'
D-d-d'
G-g-g'

or

E-e-b
A-a-e
D-d-a
G-g-d

There are other possibilities, but if you go much higher in pitch, the diameter of the string gets so small it makes intonation of the triplet very difficult with the difference in diameters of the respective strings, to say nothing of the intonation issues, depending on how the bridge saddles are constructed and how they adjust.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I'd like to try E-e-e' etc. sometime. It might be fun.

The ones with fifths would sound too Robert Fripp for me. I like pop songs.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

kennyhowes wrote:The ones with fifths would sound too Robert Fripp for me. I like pop songs.
I tuned my 8 string Hagstrom in fifths once (by downtuning the octave string) and it sounded more like stoner rock than like Robert Fripp to me. It is very nice to do stoner like riffing.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
ram

Post by ram »

Some one... might have been Miguel, said something like just the G & or D string tuned to say 9th or 7ths. I tried it. You could do the regular playing on the E & A (maybe D) and then some neat stuff on the tuned string or strings. Actually pretty cool!
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Paul W., or anyone else who knows this...........

Please tell me....what is the advantage to building this 12-string in short scale?????? Wouldn't that cause more problems tension and intonation-wise????? Lord knows.....12 string guitars and 8 string basses in long scale can suffer from these problens.

Lefty4003s8

Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Lefty4003S8 wrote:Please tell me....what is the advantage to building this 12-string in short scale?????? Wouldn't that cause more problems tension and intonation-wise????? Lord knows.....12 string guitars and 8 string basses in long scale can suffer from these problens.
I think you just answered your own question!

The Hamer I had been using is a 30.5" scale, and it's leaps and bounds easier to play than the Hamer Chapparal, the MusicVox, the Waterstone...pretty much than every other 12 string bass I'd encountered. So we went with that. Plus, it bridges the gap a bit between the typical 34" scale for bass and the <25" scale for guitar, which works for me conceptually, since the 12 string bass is kind of a mix of a bass and a guitar.

BTW, I just ran across this photo of a short-scale Hamer B12S:

A couple of folks have accused our 2030/12 design as being a bit much like this instrument, which is funny considering that this classic Hamer shape is a rip of the Gibson Les Paul Junior double-cut. :)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

kennyhowes wrote:BTW, I just ran across this photo of a short-scale Hamer B12S:

A couple of folks have accused our 2030/12 design as being a bit much like this instrument, which is funny considering that this classic Hamer shape is a rip of the Gibson Les Paul Junior double-cut. :)
Hey, we know that guy!!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

johnallg wrote:Hey, we know that guy!!
WOW! I should have read the fine print.

Talk about a thread coming full circle...
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

teeder wrote:I'd love to hear it! Do you have a sound clip, Kenny?
Why yes, I finally do!

ram

Post by ram »

Great Kenny! Thanks!
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Any neck dive issues? That's a lot of metal on one end! Cool project.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”