2nd Edition! Help!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: 2nd Edition! Help!

Post by bassduke49 »

aceonbass wrote:I've got several hi-re photographs of some customs I've done recently, including a stunning 4003 5 string conversion refinished in an early burgundy glo with a Lollar 5-string Horseshoe pickup. By the way Paul, I don't know if you caught it, but somewhere in the first 15 pages of your book, two pages are out of order.
Umm, not in my copies. Are you saying something like page 11 comes after page 12 or that text continuity is broken? Please elucidate! Gotta fix it!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I'll have to go look, but I was reading early in the first chapter, when I found the sentence on one page didn't make sense when I turned to the next page, I realized the following page was out of order, so I guess it's a text continuity thing.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

aceonbass wrote:I'll have to go look, but I was reading early in the first chapter, when I found the sentence on one page didn't make sense when I turned to the next page, I realized the following page was out of order, so I guess it's a text continuity thing.
I'll bet you have come to page 12 which is a full-page sidebar on James Kirkland (p.12), followed by the model 4000 Identifying Features full page. The text from p.11 continues on p.14. Text jumps over other Identifying Features pages elsewhere in the book, but no others have an adjacent sidebar. I'll try to add a "jump line" to page 11. Thanks for the observation! :D
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I think it is great that there is a second edition coming, and I look forward to seeing what kind of goodies Dane has got to contribute. I have always liked that 4004C that he customized with the old style gold guard.
And examples of '50s, '60s and early '70s era basses are all too rare IMHO, so if there are any additional examples of those available I know I'm going to love it!
You did a great job with the 1st Ed, Paul, can't wait for the sequel! 8)
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Smart move. I already know I want the second edition also. ;-)
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Thanks, guys. Please understand that my priority is covering the new stuff more than filling in on the older models. If I can get material on them and if I can make them fit, great. I'm looking at "complete" coverage rather than duplication. Really, despite some collectors' preferences, there wasn't much variation in, say, late '50s 4000 basses. They used only maybe three finishes and whatever hardware they had on hand. I'd like to get more shots of artists using all models and those hard-to-find limited finishes for the foreign market. I'm already getting some photos from previous contributors to fill in some of the blanks. The other consideration, a technical one, is that I can add pages but they'll have to constitute a "form" – 16 pages - or half of a "form" - eight pages. Also, to not destroy the flow of layout, I can't just add one page in a chapter; I'd have to add two pages - I have to maintain the facing pages in the design. There's a lot to think about before I actually get to build the new book, so this isn't as easy as just throwing in a page or two here and there. And just adding a new section at the back would look awful and destroy the book's organization (flow).
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

This one will be coming your way, Paul...

It can be found here... http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... ine%3Dtrue
Attachments
Chianti HS.jpg
Chianti.jpg
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Wiring diagrams...JBN's maybe?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

rickenbrother wrote:Wiring diagrams...JBN's maybe?
"JBN's" ?

OH, Joey's Bass Notes, right? Are those available now?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

bassduke49 wrote:
"JBN's" ?

OH, Joey's Bass Notes, right? Are those available now?
You need to tell me how you want them and in what format. If you would have told me this soon enough, you could have had them in your first edition.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Incoming pm (4008 minor correction) Paul!

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bassduke49 wrote:Thanks, guys. Please understand that my priority is covering the new stuff more than filling in on the older models. If I can get material on them and if I can make them fit, great. I'm looking at "complete" coverage rather than duplication. Really, despite some collectors' preferences, there wasn't much variation in, say, late '50s 4000 basses. They used only maybe three finishes and whatever hardware they had on hand. I'd like to get more shots of artists using all models and those hard-to-find limited finishes for the foreign market. I'm already getting some photos from previous contributors to fill in some of the blanks. The other consideration, a technical one, is that I can add pages but they'll have to constitute a "form" – 16 pages - or half of a "form" - eight pages. Also, to not destroy the flow of layout, I can't just add one page in a chapter; I'd have to add two pages - I have to maintain the facing pages in the design. There's a lot to think about before I actually get to build the new book, so this isn't as easy as just throwing in a page or two here and there. And just adding a new section at the back would look awful and destroy the book's organization (flow).
Totally understand, Paul, and I'm sure the 2nd Ed will be fantastic! I was just dreaming a bit in my last post, the Rick bass and I are about the same age, IIRC. Good luck with your work!
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

This is a great idea. :D
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

You really ought to add a picture of Cliff Burton of Metallica playing his 4001. Cliff still looms very large in metal, despite dying three decades ago.
4004Ci, 4003, 650S, 380L
w3stoner
Veteran RRF member

Post by w3stoner »

I've got a near spotless walnut 4002FL.
If you want pics of that...
I'm actually considering selling it...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”