REM Broke Up!!!

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Re: REM Broke Up!!!

Post by rkbsound »

Dano's are cool! Junky guitars, but fun for the money. I have a 12 string I don't play often but like having around, and I love to bang around on my little Pro-1 Reissue. Can't hurt it and has a sound all it's own. I'm not sure why Peter Buck would play one, unless it's completely modified. Which I'm guessing it would be.
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

Wildberry wrote:
Sweden wrote:I think it was never again seen after 2001.
The singing as a dork, or the Danelectro? :wink: I think it's funny people can see themselves on these live footage videos. I have a colleague who can be seen for 30 seconds singing along on a live DVD - half a minute. Imagine! :lol:

I don't mind Peter not using the Danelectros as I think they look like cheap toys. If there's guitars I dislike for looks it's Danelectros, never gotten the shapes!

Did Peter actually use the Danelectro on the album? In 2001 I was just a regular album buyer who tended to like R.E.M. and mostly only R.E.M. as favourite band. I had to work that day, so only in the afternoon I found out about the Cologne gig. Oh, how I wished I had been there in 2001, at least we got a bit on MTV (when it still was about music instead of about stupid teens). I read little to no music magazines, did browse online a bit. It;s the year I found Murmurs, although I didn;t join until 2003!
Oh, my singing as a dork at R.E.M. can unfortunately be seen in way to many DVD's and broadcasts since then... Perfect Square, Oslo 2003, St James Church 2004 etc. That's the downside of always aiming for front row! 8)

As for Danos, I like them. I've had both a 6-string and a baritone in addition to the 12-string mentioned above. The 12-string especially was great! Very particular sound, in some way reminiscent of our dear Ricks, and reasonably sturdy despite the construction. I don't know whether Peter played it on the record, can't hear much 12-string apart from doubletracked layering here and there. Maybe IOL has some as well.

/D
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)
Rickissippi

Post by Rickissippi »

I know it might sound strange, but I believe they'll be coming back before too long.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

You could go to Buckfest in Mexico and see the Minus 5, the Baseball Project and Robyn Hitchcock - just the encore of Minus 5 + Robyn Hitchcock was ace, so I fear the end of that day will be awesome. Too bad it's so far away in Mexico :cry:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I hope you all dialed into BBC 4 yesterday evening? R.E.M. night was interesting. I'm usually not that interested in video, if I don't see it when it first airs I never bother to go after it, so saw lots of things for the first time.

PLB sure had all his LPs knobs taped on the Late Show footage they showed from 1989! :shock:
Noelleon

Post by Noelleon »

Hi guys, very quite here. Just wanted to mention that I tabbed al lot of old REM songs lately. Check them out on Ultimate Guitar under my account (Noelleon). Songs from Murmur, Fables and others. Have fun!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Been a while since I was on that site... since when does one have to pay to be able to see tabs in full? :?:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I was just not awake... the download button's beneath that new viewer thingie... I got an iPhone/iPad app for those so am not going to pay to view them online...

Anyone have any news what Peter will be doing this summer festival season? A Buck Fest in Europe would be welcome!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Noelleon wrote:Hi guys, very quite here. Just wanted to mention that I tabbed al lot of old REM songs lately. Check them out on Ultimate Guitar under my account (Noelleon). Songs from Murmur, Fables and others. Have fun!
Thanks, Sebastian, I'll cetainly check those out! 8)
Noelleon

Post by Noelleon »

Wildberry wrote:Been a while since I was on that site... since when does one have to pay to be able to see tabs in full? :?:
You only have to pay for "tab pro" tabs. All the other tabs are still free.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Noelleon wrote:
Wildberry wrote:Been a while since I was on that site... since when does one have to pay to be able to see tabs in full? :?:
You only have to pay for "tab pro" tabs. All the other tabs are still free.
Yeah, so I found out - thanks for providing the tabs, btw, forgot to mention that earlier. I use them on TabToolkit
Noelleon

Post by Noelleon »

Wildberry wrote:Anyone have any news what Peter will be doing this summer festival season? A Buck Fest in Europe would be welcome!
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/80796/T ... -Camp-2012
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Oh, didn't know that, thanks for mentioning, Sebastian.

What bugs me, Mr Buck has more fans in Europe if one checks R.E.M. sales since early 90s... he should head over here before people forget who is, people already wonder whom I talk about when I mention him as is! :roll:
wordsonyou

Post by wordsonyou »

I have a fg ricky 330/12 which has all rem's original members signed on the back...Buck had written "live long and prosper" lol, but Bill Berry wrote "Green", It was 1986 so that must have been premonitions. Anyhow, this axe is now a memento of a band that influenced me deeply.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”