Fender Jazz question...

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

lowendbob
Advanced Member

Post by lowendbob »

Tell us more about the SX jazz Ronn.
I know they are really inexpensive basses but heard lots of great reviews on them.
How's the workmanship, and sound?
Buy it before someone else does.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

OK. We started working on "Side Two of Abbey Road" a couple months back and...1.Knowing that a lot of it was Jazz Bass(Paul on a lefty and George on a righty)and 2.I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new bass, I went searching and found rondomusic.com I got this bass which is similar to Paul's, it's sunburst, lefty(of course), tort guard, chrome pickup and bridge covers, rosewood board, finger rest on correct under-string side. It has dot inlays instead of blocks but otherwise pretty close and close enough for me.
To compare it to the MIM Fender Jazz my wife got me for Christmas, it has a solid alder body, the Fender-who knows?, nut is between P and J width, the finish is much nicer than the Fender, it weighs a lot!, after a few turns of the truss rod and adjusting the bridge the action is low but not too low, I don't like fret buzz. I put TI flats on as soon as I unpacked it. Neck fit is tight, tuners are good, pots feel good, I've replaced the Tele-style knobs with '60s Jazz knobs. It has THAT sound, pickups have plenty of output, no noise with both on(like any Jazz). It sounds/plays as good as it looks. Alright, ready? $165 including shipping!
ImageImageImageImage
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

"It has THAT sound"

Foam mute under the bridge cover?
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
rictified

Post by rictified »

I'm surprised that none of you guys recommended the 72, I've played and owned both and think the old ones sound and play much better than the new ones, especially better than the MIM basses. Also the 72 will appreciate in value. Fender basses sound especially good played with a pick with the foam under the ash tray. But then again, the Rics sound good played with a pick with the mute up.
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Yet another option... the new Fender Jaguar bass: jazz neck, made in Japan, parallel/series and passive/active switches, with a vintage look that photos don't do justice to... for the price of a Geddy Lee bass or a MIM Jazz with replacement pickups.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and was stunned by the value. If you like the Jazz neck profile and are open to the Jaguar look, you really ought to check one out. At least, it's another option.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

great Caesar's ghost!
bob_atherton
Intermediate Member

Post by bob_atherton »

Thanks to Ilan’s fantastic patent Japanese Jazz Bass search engine I just snagged this bad boy. A big thanks Ilan.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7412147017&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I was going to get something a bit more original vintage, but it is a major minefield out there. Nearly all Jazz Basses from the mid 70’s have issues, and to be honest I am not knowledgeable enough to tell fake from real.

How come a clean ’78 4001 is quite common, but a Fender bass is almost unheard of? Maybe with Fenders bits fall off of them….!
bob_atherton
Intermediate Member

Post by bob_atherton »

Forgot to say thank you to everyone else. Getting this Jazz has been fun and that is because of you guys.
lowendbob
Advanced Member

Post by lowendbob »

Great price Bob and good looking jazz.
That's the first time I heard that mid 70's J basses had issues.
I did hear that the 60's J bass had neck issues with the block inlays.

Hey Tony, why don't you pull the trigger on that 65? That's funny to see the body in such great shape , and the headstock flaking so bad.
lowendbob
Advanced Member

Post by lowendbob »

Here's some nice vintage Fenders.

http://vintage-sales.com/gpage4.html
teeder

Post by teeder »

Tony,

I'll save you some major change and sell you my '65 for half the price of that ****** white one! Image

Congrats Bob! Looks like a beauty!

Kevin
There Is What You Can See. There Aren’t What You Don’t See. And That’s All There Is That You Get!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

I'm always amazed at the generosity on this board.

Thanks Kevin, but I'm still after your "SPARE" V63 Image

Bob: The day I spend 17K on a bass is the day I either hit the lottery, or inherit a nice sum of money from a long lost relative. Because if I DID spend that kind of money on a bass, I'd most likely become a MONK because I'd no longer be able to stand while using the men's room. Sr. Management would SEE to that!

AND, even IF I were so lucky to hit the lottery, or inherit a nice sum of money, for that kind of money, the damn thing should be able to PLAY ITSELF!Image
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

My sentiments almost exactly, Tony. While there might be a different feeling to a 40+ year old piece of wood and there's definitely something to saying, "Check out my 196? Jazz!"...If I can APPROXIMATE the feel and (most importantly) tone while keeping something in the neighborhood of $16,300 in my pocket (I wish)... I'm more than content.

If I ever do fall into that kind of cash I reserve the right to deny ever typing this post. Image
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
rictified

Post by rictified »

The regular run of the mill 65 J bass is closer to 5 grand, that one is a rare color and way overpriced in my opinion and will go to a collector who probably doesn't play, will lock it in a vault and wait for it to double in price and then sell it. Also the prices of those vintage Fenders are ridiculous also although nice, you can find this stuff at guitar shows much cheaper. I almost bought a sunburst 65 P bass all original including covers with an a very rare (for a P bass) A neck for $1500.00 a few years ago, I hesitated and it was gone. If you are looking for a player and don't mind some wear marks and dings there are some nice old Fenders out there that are affordable, for every 17000.00 Fender there are 5 3000.00-5000.00 Fenders, some much less.

Return to “The Low End”