Blues Run the Game

Putting music theory into practice
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Speaking of blues, here's a Video of some of the guys that I jam with on a regular basis.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Jerry, there was a point when a few people were watching Jeff Scott play, and John Allgaier said "I wanna see John do his thing!", but I just felt sheepish (No knock on Jeff - what a player!). I can noodle on scales and make it sound flashy but like I said, it's just not my bag.

One of the worst parts for me is going into a shop to try a bass. I never have any clue what to play! I always wish I had a guitarist with me, just to have someone to play with.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

El Maestro

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Hey! Fumbling my way through "I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better", I think.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I'll email the full size to you, though it is darker and has red eye - though that might be because of the beer and staying up!! :D ;)
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Blues does not have to be sad. That is an old wives tale! Check out John Lee Hooker's Mr. Lucky! Blues is a style of music that runs the gauntlet of emotions.

BB's Lucille can cry and wail, and she can scream with glee!

Jeff Beck made his sound like dogs barking and cats meowing.

I Ain't superstitious,
black cat crossed my trail.
I ain't superstitious,
but a black cat crossed my trail.
Bad luck ain't got me so far,
and I won't let it stop me now.
The dogs begin to bark,
all over my neighborhood.
And that ain't all.
Dogs begin to bark,
all over my neighborhood.
Mmm-mmm
This is a mean old world to live in,
And I can't face it all by myself, at all.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Blues certainly does not have to be sad. But once you hit that V chord, there'd better be an ironic twist in the lyric!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I've long thought the blues was about getting OVER the blues. Kind of a paradox kind of thing. Like having your cake and eating it too.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Playing the blues is all about expressing deep feelings and events that have or are impacting a writer or perhaps even the players life.

I believe that it's about expressing sentiments and feelings that are not usually shared in mainstream society.

That's why I play the blues. It allows me to share and in a strange way, get rid of any stresses that have built up in my life.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Playing the blues is all about expressing deep feelings and events that have or are impacting a writer or perhaps even the players life.

Any kind of music - except for, perhaps, modern "barbie-ken" pop - is all about it. IMHO.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I am not being picky but I think you are over generalizing Sheena when you say "any kind of music".

Blues is a genre that cannot be compared to others when it comes to telling a story, or expressing pain, humility and/or sadness. It more often than not, serves up a lesson for others to avoid or perhaps presents an ironic twist to the story being told.

I think it's rather unique in that regard.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

How about those - Jazz? Punk? Art rock? All of them can express pain, humility or sadness in their own unique way; and in any of them, you can hear the story. It's not about the style, imho. It's about the story teller (writer/performer).
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Well... you can lump them all together. I certainly won't be anytime soon.

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I'm not talking about lumping the styles all together. I just mean you can find a story, a plot, feelings and emotions in a song that belongs (or, more precisely, is attributed to) almost any style. For instance (obvious examples, songs known by most people):
Story - Louis Armstrong, "Go down Moses".
Feelings - Louis Armstrong, "What a wonderful world".
Old jazz is all about emotions. Take "In the mood", for instance.
Of course, that's just my opinion.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I see that you are narrowing your field of vision a bit Sheena. That was my point. You were being far to liberal with your interpretation and application of my earlier comment.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”