Take Your Pick

Putting music theory into practice
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Jeff, it's "Delrin". Just a trade name for nylon.

I use that pick on the bottom only during our Earth, Wind, and Fire sets...it's the "Maurice White No Tooth Left Behind" model.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Ahem, Delrin® is chemically a polymeric acetal, a condensation product of an aldehyde and an alcohol, whereas nylon is a polymeric amide, a condensation product of an acid and an amine. They have very different chemical resistances and physical properties because of their different chemical natures. (Nylon is a generic term because the acid and amine used can vary; e.g., Nylon 66 is the condensation product of a C-6 diacid and a C-6 diamine.)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

This is gonna sound kooky, but I specifically like the "clown vomit" Fender heavy picks. Oh, I think they call them confetti.

They feel different from the other celluloid picks. A friend didn't believe me and made me do a blind test and I picked the correct one each time, and felt confident about it.

And then there is the fact that they match my guitar playing, which is a little scary. Like clowns. And their vomit.
"rubber heads don't dent easily"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks for the clarification, Good Doctor.

I'd forgotten about the "acetal" category, which is of course correct. This can be verified by machining a piece of Delrin, which gives off a smell like cat pi$$...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Once I tried the Dunlop nylons I never looked back. The raised lettering keeps my pick from sliding around, and I never have to deal with the "broken half-pick slashing my E-string" issue.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Melissa, you and I use the same picks. The yellow colour took a while to grow on me but the feel and snap were perfect from day one. Standard Dunlop Tortex yellow .73's. Same pick now for two decades.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I usually finger pick, Chet Atkins/Merle Travis style. So I use a National plastic thumb pick and 2 ProPik no. 3s. (OK, I know Merle Travis only used his thumb and index finger to pick, and I'm learning to switch. The old habits of an old folkie die hard.) On those occasions when I do resort to a flat pick, I use Dunlop Tortex Plectra 1.0mm picks (the blue ones).

P.S. I tried picking using the Dunlop pick, and putting my finger picks on second and third fingers, picking like McGuinn does. It can be done. I was surprised that it wasn't more difficult.

Jim
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Dunlops seem to be the only picks I can't destroy after a song or two of double picking...anyone here use Pyramid strings?
Reverb set to stun !!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I like how fender picks burn.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Once by accident dropped a Fender celluloid pick into my tea cup.."Boy this tea tastes funny"! After finishing the cup I find the pick..toxic? Wife says this explains some things about me..hah
Reverb set to stun !!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Jerry, they make a cream for that.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

LOL!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Now I don't feel so bad about my dumb jokes!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”