Vintage Reissue Higains anyone?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

P.S. two: can you guess what those bobbins were fashioned from?...
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Looks like from The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" vinyl LP. I see a few grooves near the pole pieces. I need to stick a needle to it and make sure! He He...Image
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, bingo! Not from a Byrds long-player though.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I'm just messin' with you Sergio. You already told me earlier what you made them from.

BTW, how hot did you wind them? I'm guessing less than 7.4K.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

That's right. Around 6.8 K.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thank You Sergio.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

Here is a close up of a 1970 high gain from Elys' 4001:
"The youth of today should start thinking about the state in which they want to leave this planet to Keith Richards..."! Quote by an unknown musician
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Cool! Looks like it's bobbin is cardboard or fiberboard. Reminds me of the bottoms of vintage fisher price toys.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Wow, Pete, that's a gorgeous photo you took! You have both a very good camera, and a true artist's eye for composition Image

Rickenbacker 21-fretter courtesy of John Hall and Electro...
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Sérgio, is that the late-sixties "phenolic" material in the hi-gain bobbin? It does not look like "record vinyl" in this photo.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

That's G-10 mil spec glass filled epoxy printed circuit board material- just about indestructible.

G10 Spec Sheet
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey, thanks, John. "Just about indestructible". I'll say!
Elys, the treble pickup originally on my November '70 21 fretter looked exactly like that. Currently it's safely tucked away in my "Rick parts drawer".
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

We used this single-layer glass-filled epoxy for RF circuit boards in VHF radios for years. Only a two-sided circuit board, so you could do plated-through bridges front-to-back easily on the wave-soldering machine. John is right, this stuff takes a lot of soldering iron abuse, much stronger than plain old brown phenolic perf board.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”