Tempo in a Praise Band

Putting music theory into practice
jimbunch

Post by jimbunch »

I play electric guitar in a praise band. There are two other members, one is the lead vocalist / acoustic guitarist, and the other plays bass and occasional violin. We also use a drum machine. We get together one day a week to jam, work on new songs, and record the songs. However, we never play live. The church actually let us build a small studio in a spare room but the congregation is older and they are not really interested in our classic rock oriented praise music. Our sessions are more about stress relief from our high stress jobs, worship, fellowship, improving our playing skills, having fun, and learning how to record music. When we play "live" in our studio we have some of the same problems with the mix but we tend to get it right on any recordings we make. I can see from some of your experiences that playing in a real praise band with the pressure of weekly performances and the politics of praise band leaders and the other band members would probably turn me off. I am very lucky to be in a band with two other guys that are very compatible and we always try to work together as a team and just have fun.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Get Robert Sweet from Stryper to play drums for you.

Nicko McBRain from Iron Maiden plays in his praise band in Florida.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Wow Guys! I can't believe I missed this thread for so long. I've been so busy that I haven't really had much time to even look at the Forum lately, let alone post...but this kind discussion will cure that in a hurry.

I have been in churches will virtually all the problems previously mentioned. I'm sure that most of you have heard the silly jokes about renaming the Music Department the "War Department", or the the fact that when Satan fell from heaven he landed in the choir loft. Music brings out deep, often unarticulated emotions in everyone (even those without much ability), so its not surprising that conflict so easily arises.

Right now, I am very fortunate. The band in our church occasionally holds auditions and is not afraid to tell people that they didn't make it. After one recent announcement of upcoming auditions, I finally mustered the courage to try out. I passed the audition, but that included a 3 month trial period, after which either the new member of the band leader could decide whether it was going to work or not. Fortunately I got invited to stay and have had more fun than I ever imagined. The band leader is extremely talented as is everyone else in the group. I have to work really hard to keep up with them, but there is a wonderful balance set by the leader. He is incredibly gracious, kind, encouraging and patient, but also a sort of perfectionist, for whom excellence is really important. Those two things together are exactly what we all need. The band is tight both musically and relationally. There really aren't any big egos. If we hear something that's off, or have a suggestion, no one's afraid to say it, or hear it, because its all about the music and worship.

We play a wide variety of stuff depending on the particular service. We have done everything from classic hymns "Jesus Paid it All" to U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name." A typical Sunday has a bunch of Lincoln Brewster or Chris Tomlin. I have found it very easy to actually worship when I play as opposed to performing.

BTW, we use in ear monitors. The church is only 4 years old, and we're in the process of starting a building, but for now we still meet in the YMCA gym (the acoustics are...well you can imagine...and stage monitors just made the problem worse...we have a couple of really good sound guys though and they wring amazing things out of the PA). The church has grown to around 650 with two services so there's a lot of set up and tear down that goes on every week.

Melissa...I still remember fondly the day we got to worship together at the 75th. Maybe again sometime. BTW, good luck with your house.

Charly...Over the years, especially when I was in the AF, I went to a bunch of Reformed churches. In CA I'm guessing CRC, OPC or PCA? Good luck on the Pastor search. Take your time...better to get it right.

Jim...Sounds like you are having a great time. I hope that at some point you get to share it with others.

BTW, JDog's suggestion of a Metronome is (as always) right on.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

We have a new pastor starting on the 19th!!

I just threw down the tempo gauntlet this morning by saying I wanted to quit, and now I am the "bad" guy.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

"Tempo Gauntlet."

Great album title. Or the next Bruce Willis film.

You decide.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Or perhaps it's a Bruce Willis film about his band...
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

This thread reminds me of a recurring thought: Once I get my 360/12 FG, I'd like to do "Turn! Turn! Turn!" at church. I think our new pastor would go for it. And I know just the other singer/guitarist who has the voice to sing Crosby's part. What fun!

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Jimk - Done it. Highly recommend it. You can even tell people to open up to that chapter in Ecclesiastes and follow along. That usually freaks them out, while at the same time pre-emptively shuts up anyone who doesn't want rock music in church.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Jason, I don't think anyone would get freaked out. More probably the reaction would be "WHAT! Jim's playing an electric guitar? What is the world coming to?" (I've played country fiddle, clawhammer style banjo, and some country acoustic guitar picking a la Merle Travis/Chet Atkins in church before. Heck, I even played a hymn once on my fife [loud, shrill little flutes]. No sweat there.)

The fact that the song is an old rock hit, the fact that somebody's playing rock music in church, everybody would be pretty cool with that. Artistically speaking, it's a pretty open and accepting congregation. So I can easily pull it off without fear of censure. One never knows what one will hear as a special musical offering; a recorder quartet, a mixed gospel vocal group, bluegrass, old-timey folk music, a New England style shaped note hymn, an African American spiritual, a motet by Palestrina, a selection from Handel's Messiah, or a straight ahead hymn in 4 part harmony, a capella.

No, what'll startle people is me playing an electric guitar, a 12 string Ric, no less. I can hardly wait.

JimK
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Liner notes I'd like to see:

"Turn Turn Turn" (Seeger/God)
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Morning Has Broken is a fave hymn of mine, and freaks out a few who didn't know.

Stand By Me(Lord Jesus) lyrics were changed for the secular hit.

Presence of the Lord is another fave, although I wouldn't do the wah thing in church!

I got a "blues" tune in with Precious Lord, take my Hand

People Get Ready is another good one.....

It looks like my gauntlet worked. I have a commitment to work on tempo...
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yeah Charly, you have some good ones listed.

JimK
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Charly...After reading your posts and others, it seems you need a solid, tasteful drummer to help you keep these people on an even keel. I am not a churchgoer, but in discussions with other musicians who play in church, it seems that many church musicians/singers are either not used to working with a band, or they're just mediocre musicians with good intentions. If you studied with Carole, this isn't your problem. You can play, no doubt. I recommend you find a drummer and rehearse with the culprits until they get their act together.
DW Drummer Signing Off
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

And if you can't find a drummer, get a metronome or a drum machine. Anything that can bang out 2,3 or 4 beats to the bar audibly will work, and if it's mechanical or electronic, it can't be argued with.

I lead our praise team, and am blessed by the presence of a rock-solid drummer. His abilities (and, as importantly, temperament) have had a huge effect on our overall sound - it has really helped, for example, with our piano player. She plays beautifully alone, but has some real tempo challenges playing with the rest of us in the band. I gave her her own monitor, and made sure the drums were the most prominent part of the mix and it's a lot better now.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Just a small observation on the subject of "Morning Has Broken"...

I just got back from playing a gig in Chicago, at a Hotel near O'Hare. Over the same weekend, an international convention of Islamic businesspeople was being held at the Rosemont Center across the street, and most of them were staying at the same Hotel we were. I saw more Muslim in traditional clothing in two days than I've seen all my life. It was quite a trip...at one point, several of us were smoking out front (in the designated 'zone'), and a young (ethnically) Middle Eastern guy came up to hang out with us. We had a great conversation with him...all-American kid, born in Seattle and now living in St. Louis. To make a long story short, at one point he told us about attending one of these conventions a few years ago, and hearing Yusef Islam (Cat Stevens) sing for the attendees...Yusef, of course, recorded MHB, as well as 'Peace Train' and lots of other great tunes. These days, he's not allowed to enter the U.S., and no one I know can even say why.,..is it 'cuz of his new last name? I remember some famous American boxer running into trouble the same way...

Anyway, Charlie, you and Yusef have something in common: a favorite hymn.

(You better watch yourself, buddy...)
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”