Searchers on youtube

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
miamiric

Re: Searchers on youtube

Post by miamiric »

Closing credits of same show, note Mike Pender swapping guitars with John McNally for "Take Me For What I'm Worth". Great bass sound on these clips, it was usually lost on TV broadcasts due to the limitations of television set speakers. At least we can enjoy it now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6gzptzDRM
"TOO OLD TO ROCK TOO YOUNG TO DIE"
rickosound

Post by rickosound »

We hadn't seen the closing credits so thanks for pointing this out. If Pender and McNally switched guitars it would support the argument that they're playing live. There would be no point in doing that otherwise. Also, the absence of amps doesn't mean much. You never saw amps on the Ed Sullivan Show, and many of those groups, including the Beatles, were fully live. Our theory is that variety shows like Sullivan's, which ran acts off and on every 5 minutes, probably didn't want the burden of moving heavy equipment under these restraints. It's also possible it was easier to get a better sound or balance through the board, so to speak.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes good point , may ask Frank or John to clarify if they can remember.

The guitar they swop, by the way, was later bought off John McNally by a friend of mine for her son.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Happy New Year all, sorry haven't been back for a while, getting over the Christmas thing.
Thanks for the reply Mike, I do remember MPD, guessed it probably wasn't the same person but had to ask
Finally got broadband and had a look at the You Tube stuff.
Not bad, pity some of it can't be put onto a DVD and sold commercially
Will keep an eye on it.
Cheers

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”