Squire's other basses

The genius of Chris Squire
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Squire's pretty tough on those headstocks isnt he??
"Knowledge is Power"
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Dane, Chris's original triple neck was certainly a Wal; however you are correct in that it was built for Roger Newell, Rick Wakeman's bassist . The one he owns now isn't the same one, it's a copy built by a Japanese luthier. The original is in the Hard Rock Cafe.

http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walnotes.html
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Ahhh...thanks for the link.
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

I own Chris’s 8 string bass and yes it did have some damage to the neck. Other than that is 100% stock with original case and a YES sticker from 74 on it. I must say Elys, Chris played the thing for several years live and on record and other than his 4001S/1999 it was the only bass of note with him live during several shows I saw of YES in the 70’s. Hardly a story of hate. During the GOING FOR THE ONE TOUR, the 8 string and the backgammon suite were some get up together. The truth is, that during the 80’s and 90’s Chris would try out several basses and sometimes think they were better in some ways to his classic Rickenbackers including the 1964 RM. The Rickenbacker 8 string is one of the best Rickenbacker instruments made and I am thrilled to own it. I own more than fifty Rickenbacker basses from the 50’ and 60’s and the 8 string would be the last bass I would let go. It was the most exciting day of my life when Chris and I picked it up at the airport and drove it back to my place. ( in that same Toyota car he left parked in my drive way). Other than that I own his blue Thunderbird bass, his Guild fret-less (both played on many 70’s recordings), and the 1964 RM1999 that he is playing in the FISH OUT OF WATER FILM.
seabass

Post by seabass »

Wow! Can you post some photos? We're all drooling out here......
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Image Vincent...I modified this bass as a tribute to Chris's 4008 and his RM1999. I was lucky enough to get Mr.Squire to sign the pickguard last year at RIC's 75th.
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

Gallo said-"I own more than fifty Rickenbacker basses from the 50’ and 60’s".

Damn, that's an impressive collection, I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that some pictures would be great and really take this forum to the next level. (And here I am busting my middle class butt trying to make a Jan-June 1973 4001 collection...Image )
73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Hi Vince,
I agree with the guys here,you NEED to post some pics of those basses.
I have been looking around for a Guild fretless for The Remembering because we hope to play Topographic in full next year. One will show up eventually I suppose. Then I need to get another MN Jazz Bass for The Ancient.........Anyone want to buy a spare lung or kidney?
Too many basses is an oxymoron
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Yes, Vince, I would love to get photos of the oldies for my forthcoming book, as I have expressed in private e-mails. Hope to hear from you soon.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

ahhh...i wondered whatever became of that nonreverse 'bird-i think it has a wonderful tone on the 3 or 4 songs i've heard it used on-very cool,vincent! i myself own a 67 epiphone embassy,very similar sounding first cousin to the t-bird...oh,yeah,forgot where i was for a second...rickenbacker rickenbacker rickenbacker!
'74 4000 White
'98 4004Ci
'04 4004Cii MG Fretless conversion
'04 4004 Laredo FG 4002v57 Custom
dswp

Post by dswp »

Vince, if you had the time, it would be great if you could post a current picture of the 4008.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I'll second that request.
"Knowledge is Power"
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I'll third it.
ram

Post by ram »

Motion carried. Vince, if you have a pic or two laying around, we'd appreciate a look see here in the Forum.... Thanks!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

I plan to do a book shortly of my entire collection. I prefer not to post any photographs before hand. For the book each bass will be extensively photographed including details under the pick guard and of the pickups. Serial #’s will be listed and as well a brief story of origin and or purchase for each bass. My 60’s bass purchases date back to 1974 when at 12 I purchased a very beat up 1965 4001 for $175 from a music shop in Buffalo. Paid for by myself from jobs I had since I was 9. Chris Squire was so much my idol and so I studied the YES album covers and studied his bass. I wanted one like his so bad but could not find anyone in Buffalo who knew what model his was or what color. When I was 14, I made a long distance phone call to Rickenbacker from a phone booth using a pocket full of change. Mr. Hall took my call. I explained I wanted a bass like Chris Squires and he took an order for an unbound dot neck 4001S style bass. It would be in white as that’s what I thought Chris’s bass was. He said no to the horseshoe and would not leave the headstock wings walnut (stripes as I called them). I did not know to ask for a longer headstock. He insisted I go to the Rickenbacker dealer in Buffalo to place the order. Four months later the bass arrived. It was incredible. Cost me $500 which was big money. Three weeks later while home from band practice two guys robbed me and they took the bass. I rode my bike around buffalo for months looking for those guys and have never seen that bass again. I loved my 1965 bass but that white bass was cool and in those days newer seemed better. I cried for months over that bass and the money I spent for it was a lot. For the record, more than half of the basses I own were purchased long before I had any commercial success in the movie business. I supported myself with harsh labor jobs and lived in New York City on my own since I was 16. The 250 square foot apartment I lived in on the lower east side until 1998 was hardly spacious and was crammed with Rickenbackers , a few arch-tops and hi-fi gear.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”