Great Old Songs For RIC 12-String

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Great Old Songs For RIC 12-String

Post by JakeK »

The Beatles version of "Roll Over Beethoven" sounds pretty cool on a 12-string, even though I know there wasn't one on the original recording. However, throughout the "Hard Day's Night" gigs when they played that song, George did use the 360/12OS, notably on the "Around the Beatles" special.
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Dock of the Bay :idea:
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Two in a row but did anyone mention Handle With Care by the Wilburys :?:

Or how about You Where It Well, by Rod Steward, I liked the guy R.S. had playing and writing with him in that era. Then, Steward went in a very different direction. Somebody will know that guy's name. He would be a good candidate for the 'Where Are They Now 'thread. He was a very good acoustic 12 string player. Sorry in advance if he's well know in Europe and I am just un-informed :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Some Tom Petty numbers...

Rhythm:
American Girl
Refugee (sounds cool, even though I don't normally play it on a 12)
The Waiting
Rebels
So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star (Even though in the music vid, there was no 12-string rhythm, it still gets a Byrdsy feel!)
The Damage You've Done
A Face in the Crowd
Learning to Fly
Into the Great Wide Open
You and I Will Meet Again
Wildflowers
Waiting for Tonight
Ways to Be Wicked
Walls
Saving Grace

Lead:
Listen to Her Heart
Here Comes My Girl
The Waiting (sounds cool, and when my lead guitarist plays that part, he mostly does it on a 12)
Don't Come Around Here No More
So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star (Petty's version is so fun to play!)
Free Fallin'
A Higher Place
To Find a Friend
Casa Dega
Walls
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

tamborineman wrote:Or how about You Where It Well, by Rod Steward, I liked the guy R.S. had playing and writing with him in that era. Then, Steward went in a very different direction. Somebody will know that guy's name. He would be a good candidate for the 'Where Are They Now 'thread. He was a very good acoustic 12 string player. Sorry in advance if he's well know in Europe and I am just un-informed :)
Do you mean after The Small Faces and before he became a disco king, or after he was a disco king and before he formed his Tom Waits cover band?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

tamborineman wrote:Two in a row but did anyone mention Handle With Care by the Wilburys :?:

Or how about You Where It Well, by Rod Steward, I liked the guy R.S. had playing and writing with him in that era. Then, Steward went in a very different direction. Somebody will know that guy's name. He would be a good candidate for the 'Where Are They Now 'thread. He was a very good acoustic 12 string player. Sorry in advance if he's well know in Europe and I am just un-informed :)
You What it Well by Who?
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Martin Quittenton helped Rod along...His early stuff is stiil the best for me Gasoline Alley and The Rod Stewart Album...
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

OK Paul, I checked with Sister Mary Elephant and she said W E A R. After the beating I took with the yard stick I won't forget ! :oops:
Rod Steward-deffinatly pre-disco, Martin Q :)
rickosound

Post by rickosound »

I Wanna Meet You - The Cryan Shames

An absolutely great song from roughly 1966. This band was from Chicago, and we think a skeleton crew still performs today. You could open a set with this song today and knock everyone out of his/her chair, from the very first note. We'll see if Peter can post the Mp3.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”