LOTS OF PROJECTS NEARING COMPLETION...

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Re: LOTS OF PROJECTS NEARING COMPLETION...

Post by bottom4 »

Anything I’d be interested in Paul?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Congrats on finishing up on a new batch of gorgeous beauties! :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

bottom4 wrote:Anything I’d be interested in Paul?
You betcha, Andy...as I said, pics as soon as there's something to show. Our project is something I want to keep under our hats, though, for the time being! :wink: :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

paologregorio wrote:Congrats on finishing up on a new batch of gorgeous beauties! :D
Thanks, Paul, but they're not done until the owner's smile lights up the RRF!
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Any pictures yet?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yep...some stuff almost ready to buff out...two acoustics.

Alisha Tremaine's 700C/6, in a special Blue Sky Burst. It's not really identical to BBR, being a four-color burst; the edges next to the binding are very deep blue-violet, the fade is cobalt blue, and the center has a hint of pastel aqua. So it shifts from violet to aqua, and all the tints allow the wood grain to show through.

Here it is after color was applied, but before the binding was scraped and tinted, and before the first coats of varnish were sprayed:

Prior to varnishing, which is not tinted, the entire guitar was completely masked twice and the binding was tinted to a pale ambered color, to warm up the scheme slightly so the gold guard and TRC and the fretboard wouldn't look like orphans:

Next is an interesting 700C/12 in BB. This is identical to the one I brought to SoCal back in August. I was not happy with the action on that one, so I put it aside for a neck reset and built another for the client. This one also has a bound 12-string headstock:

This guitar is a twin to the 700c/6 that went to Japan in 2000 and came back a couple of years later. The spruce top of the 6-string had developed two splits, which I glued and cleated, and the 6 will be refinished next week. Then the two matching acoustics will be sent to their owner.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hi Paul,

Feel free to show my 360 PBR as well but please keep it indoors, at least until summer.

Best,

Manta
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

manta wrote: Feel free to show my 360 PBR as well but please keep it indoors, at least until summer.
Eh?

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

PW, my heart sank when i saw the Blue Boy. You have positively nailed the color.
brycycle
Advanced Member

Post by brycycle »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

sloop_john_b wrote:PW, my heart sank when i saw the Blue Boy. You have positively nailed the color.
JB, thanks for the kind word...your heart can get up now...it took seven spray-outs to get the color correct. (It usually takes two or three.) I've now got a formula for it. BB is TOUGH to get "right", as more than any color I've eye-matched, it dries way off its wet shade--about three to four shades darker!

Out of the five BB instruments I've held this chip up to, it matches two. The other three will require tinting to match. I think the variations are in the varnish used over the BB, though.

"PBR" is Tim's abbreviation for "Purpleburst". I recently did a PBR 360 for him, and as soon as some small parts arrive and the guards are done (gold). I'll post its pics, too!
janglerocker

Post by janglerocker »

I betcha these guys have seen some Purpleburst in their time.
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

Thanks for posting the pics PW :) I'm very excited.

(Incidentally, my home improvement project went awry and I did something to my rotator cuff. I'm in a sling at the moment and have an MRI tomorrow. I guess I'll leave the future projects to the pro's :) Hopefully it'll be sorted out before the guitar arrives....that would be torture to not be able to play!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Last varnish coat went on tonight, Alisha...after sanding, sanding, sanding... it looks smooth. Now some shrink time and a final buffing out.

Bad news about that rotator cuff. I did the same in Brasil in '02, lifting my studio's rollup door in a hurry...took 6 months to recover. Hopefully yours is not as serious.

Keep us informed!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Great pics!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”