Is this an original? 1964 rose morris. $?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Re: Is this an original? 1964 rose morris. $?

Post by k43rover »

godber wrote:The website says £4100? Did you get it?

If the guitar sold at auction, you would normally have to add buyer's fees on top of the sale price - typically those are around 20% in the UK. So a hammer price of £4100 would equate to a real purchase price of £4900 (around $7,500) including fees. I'd say that's a fair price for this guitar...but only if it's in sound structural condition. However, the pictures seem to indicate some sort of refinish on the neck. With any Rose Morris that would immediately set alarm bells off with me as it could well have been refinished there to cover up a neck repair. I really hope the buyer had chance to examine the guitar before they bought it and reassure themselves on that point; if not, they could be in for a nasty surprise...
base

Post by base »

That was the hammer price befor auction duty at 10 percent that will round it up to £4,500, this is if they dont charge vat that will add another 20 percent taking the final price to
around £ 5500 .
I am not the luky winner I had to sit un my hands to stop me from bidding. :D
Harlequ1n

Post by Harlequ1n »

Hello Everyone
Bidding started at £2,000 and increased quickly

https://www.easyliveauction.com/auction ... rentpage=1

The hammer price was £4,100.00
Buyer's Premium 16% £ 656.00
VAT on Buyer's Premium only 20% £ 131.20

Total £4,887.20

Also a Mapleglo 330/12 (I think) sold at £1,050 plus premium. Total £1,251.60

https://www.easyliveauction.com/auction ... rentpage=1
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

Harlequ1n wrote:Hello Everyone

Total £4,887.20
Hi Steve, welcome to the board! Doesn't surprise me that bidding was strong on this. '64 Rose Morris guitars are rare and pricing on '60's f-hole guitars in general seems to be holding firm. Like I said above, I just hope the buyer doesn't find any nasty surprises lurking beneath the neck refin...if they don't, then I think that's a fair price.
collin

Post by collin »

k43rover wrote:

Total £4,887.20
Hi Steve, welcome to the board! Doesn't surprise me that bidding was strong on this. '64 Rose Morris guitars are rare and pricing on '60's f-hole guitars in general seems to be holding firm. Like I said above, I just hope the buyer doesn't find any nasty surprises lurking beneath the neck refin...if they don't, then I think that's a fair price.

:shock: :shock:

Wow, I seriously underestimated the price on these. Even if it does turn out to have a neck repair and refin, that's a couple thousand over what I was expecting.

....which is great news to those of us that own similar instruments! :)
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Thanks for the info Steve, useful to know.

Eddie, where did you get that fab Autumnglo in your avatar?
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

collin wrote:
k43rover wrote:

Total £4,887.20

:shock: :shock:

Wow, I seriously underestimated the price on these. Even if it does turn out to have a neck repair and refin, that's a couple thousand over what I was expecting.

....which is great news to those of us that own similar instruments! :)
+1 Collin!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

+2 :twisted:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

godber wrote: Eddie, where did you get that fab Autumnglo in your avatar?
Hi Mark, According to the Richard Smith book, these Autumnglo Rose Morris guitars were all shipped in 1966 exclusively to the UK (i.e. none to Rose Morris in Australia). From the invoices Smith examined for the book, there were 25 model 1997 guitars, 50 model 1998 guitars, and 25 model 1999 guitars made in this colour. Although many of the production totals quoted in Smith's book are known to be inaccurate, AFAIK the Rose Morris totals are correct as he examined specific shipping invoices for those. I bought the 1997 in the avatar in the UK privately - I'm attaching a better pic below.

I've seen a few of the model 1997 and 1998 guitars for sale. I've never even seen a 1999 pictured in this colour; so I guess it's possible that none of those 25 bass guitars have survived. A 1998 was sold a few years back (see pic below).

Ron has another example of a 1997 in his collection pictured here:

http://www.ronsvintage.com/Rickenbacker ... 201997.htm

I believe that f-hole guitars in this colour were only ever shipped to the UK. There were a few other slash hole models made in the same colour and sold in the US (most of those seem to have been made in 1968).
Attachments
1966 Rose Morris 1997 front 1.jpg
Feb 1966 Rose Morris model 1998 Autumnglo.jpeg
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Cheers for info Eddie. I bet that was a good day when you picked up that one. It's a perfect combination of rare and strikingly beautiful. Congrats!
tobiah

Post by tobiah »

The buyer was in the room, I was bidding online but wasn't sure who bought it. Just as the hammer fell another online bid came in but they missed it!!!

There was a famous footballer at the auction who is very into musical equipment so maybe he bought it. I hope they had chance to inspect it thoroughly as it wasn't in as good condition as the auction site or photos made out...
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: :shock: :shock:

Don't be too hard on yourself...we all make mistakes :wink:

This guitar sold for the sort of price that I'd expect in the UK for a structurally sound example (although, of course, from the pictures we can't be sure whether it is or not...).

Collin, I think you might have low balled it as these guitars are probably not quite so highly valued by collectors in the US as they are in the UK. From the folks I know here, I'd say the '60's Rose Morris guitars represent a pinnacle of Rick desirability (pretty much on a par with a Harrison style OS 360/12) . There is just so much UK rock history that comes with buying an original example of one of these guitars (whether from association with the original '60's legends or more contemporary icons like Weller.....). For many of us, myself included, that makes them super desirable instruments.... :D
Attachments
1996color.jpg
Townshend with Rose Morris.jpg
Jam RoMo 3.jpg
Last edited by k43rover on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

godber wrote:Cheers for info Eddie. I bet that was a good day when you picked up that one. It's a perfect combination of rare and strikingly beautiful. Congrats!
Thanks Mark. You're absolutely right...these are beautiful guitars. 8)
Attachments
1966 Rose Morris 1997 resize 6.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

Oh, without a doubt Ed---I know the mass appeal and collectibility of these guitars in general, including the UK. I thought price would be lower simply going on what earlier sales prices have been in the past. Of course, a fair number of these prices have been in the US, but I wouldn't think that (in the global market these days) that the price would be that much higher in the UK! :shock:

In any case, that's interesting to see, glad it commanded a respectable price. Wish there were nicer photos available though, and hopefully the buyer was in person and got to inspect it thoroughly.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

collin wrote: Of course, a fair number of these prices have been in the US, but I wouldn't think that (in the global market these days) that the price would be that much higher in the UK! :shock:
From what I've observed in the past couple of years, there have been some pretty ropey condition RoMo's which have sold for very good money here in the UK. I don't think they'd have made quite the same money in the US judging by some of the selling prices I've observed on US eBay for similar guitars. What I haven't seen (anywhere) is an open sale of a mint Rose Morris. That's probably because none exist in that condition as these guitars were almost universally bought by gigging pros in the UK and would have had extremely hard lives. If a mint one ever turns up, I suspect it could go higher than any of us might imagine wherever it were auctioned...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”