woodyng

Re: 1977 4002 restoration project

Post by woodyng »

Awesome!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hey! It looks like a Rick bass again! Fantastic!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Yup CJ, she's been to hell and back!! She is way stronger now and she's put back together properly!

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

OK, a few updates. The ebony fretboard has arrived and oh is it nice. Almost pure black with only slight light color traces in it. it is perfect!! I've decided on a finish. I opted to go with a clear satin finish with no tinting whatsoever! I really think this will enhance all the wonderful little bits of birds eye in this bass while allowing the true creamy maple tone to show through. If the finish ambers in time, so be it, but for now it's going be crystal clear and satin.

Sorry, no fotos!! I figured it would be better once the board is fit to the bass and fretted before I show what a lovely ebony plank Larry sourced for me!!

It's getting there!!!

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Looking forward to seeing this one finished. It's been some demonstration of craftsmanship so far. Terrific.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I think this bass would look awesome in trans red or trans blue. It would really stand out and be truly one-of-a-kind!Plus, there's something about trans red that goes great with hard rock and heavy metal.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

aceonbass wrote:I think this bass would look awesome in trans red or trans blue. It would really stand out and be truly one-of-a-kind!Plus, there's something about trans red that goes great with hard rock and heavy metal.
OMG NO
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The 4002 was only available in TWO colors, exactly one more color than Henry Ford's Model T. Trans red or blue are stock Rickenbacker colors. The only reason (other than of course Sepp's personal preference) to keep the bass a stock color, is for resale value, which only a COLLECTOR is concerned with. Sepp's not a collector, he's a player, and he's actually in a hard rock/metal band, so I think the bass would look good in that color. At least as good as the color looks on any other RIC instrument. If it didn't involve extra holes, I'd say dump the lame 12:1 Schaller tuners too, but unfortunately that can't happen.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I like the idea of a trans red one,myself. Or even tv yellow,but Sepp's already got that covered.... 8)
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

aceonbass wrote:I think this bass would look awesome in trans red or trans blue. It would really stand out and be truly one-of-a-kind!Plus, there's something about trans red that goes great with hard rock and heavy metal.
Dane,

In the back of my mind I contemplated the possibility of a trans color (green woudl have been my primary choice) but only if the staining (due to water damage) on the few places would have necessitated a tint to camouflage it. There are very small patches of very light red & grey staining at the rear body wing joint but it is barely noticeable.

There was a time during this restoration where the neck rebuild was in question. The slight possibility of having a new neck made may have prompted me to pick a departure of stock finish. Thankfully the neck was skillfully and lovingly separated and reunited, so that option was never closer than just a thought.

My initial vision for this bass was to restore it and bring it back to its former glory. In its simplest terms, that meant stock. I could have told Larry to have a custom neck made for me that took new style rods but in my head that would not be the 4002 that left the RIC factory in Sept. of 1977.

Sure I have made improvements. The harness you build for it is better than factory with a few more options. In my mind, it's an improvement that does not really alter form or function, so it's OK. It makes it better without altering the looks. Kinda like boring the cylinders on a performance engine. The work needed to be done anyway and no owe knows it's there except a scant few. :D

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I get ya there Sepp. This is one of the fastest restorations Ive ever seen. Whats the projected ETA on it? Although a satin finish is much faster on a neck, why not a glossy finish on the rest as per stock?
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Dane,

Larry showed me a few fotos of "natural" finishes he has done. I was sold instantly by the foto of the "naked Tux" that he did on the once white Tuxedo that Paul Boyer owns. I love the look of Paul's "Naked Tux" although the grain and birds eye is not present on the Tux, it certainly is on the 4002 and will benefit from the finish. I was close to the light trans green option. I kept running that over and over in my head.

The ebony plank came in today so that has to be fit to the neck and adhered. Neck binding route then frets put in. I'm not sure if the finish goes on after the fretboard is on. I imagine we are close. I'm afraid to ask for an ETA since one hold up can set us back and I'd rather not be disappointed by a missed date. It's been one fast wild ride and I'm kinda enjoying it while it lasts. I'm secretly hoping it arrives for our next gig on July 20, but I'm not pumping myself up for it.

In all seriousness, I'm sortaworried about receiving it. For me and many others, Dave Pascoe's 4002, was love at first sight. As beautiful as she is, she is also plays every bit as good as she looks. A shear joy to play, she really is. Killer tone that I've never experienced in any bass I've ever played. I'm hoping this bass has the same feel and killer tone. I'm really hoping it does because Dave's bass is much to pretty to gig out. Regardless, she will will be fully functional and better than new. Larry has done a wonderful job with the wrecked water soaked hull I sent him. I seriously doubt anyone could have done what he has done to resurrect her.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
8mileshigher

1977 4002 restoration project

Post by 8mileshigher »

Amazing pictures and a fantastic restoration project !
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Loving it! Impressive restore.

Trans red.... hmmmm... If it accented the birdseye, that would be really interesting.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Oh,glad to hear i'm not the only one that likes transgreen! that Would be interesting on a 4002.....ok,and now that i've thought about a differnent color a bit more,i've always loved RIC's own amber fireglo.....oh my,that i think would look incredible ... :shock:

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”