Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

thisismusicinc

Re: New basses

Post by thisismusicinc »

I like it, looks like a grown up 480 8)
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I have no desires to ever play a 5 or 6 string bass, but if I did, this new look would have me searching elsewhere. I’m open minded to innovations and change so the bridge makes sense to me. The pickup shape looks Mickey Mouse to me and that would be a showstopper.
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

Let's remember when the 4002 was introduced, it didn't go over very well with Ric players. Now it's a highly desired instrument. I think these will just take some time to grow on people.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

cheyenne wrote:I really want to be on board with these, but I just cant do it. :shock:

I'm sure they're fine basses, but just not for me.
Unfortunately +1
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

radapaw wrote:
So... any 4004's at Namm?
That’s exactly what I’m wondering
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

Simply, but simply awful, period. Can't believe what I am seeing and I shook my head to realize I was not having a bad dream.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

A lot of haters here support John Halls past statements about Rick fans not liking change. I'll bet that unique pickup shape was not done randomly, and conceals something very innovative. As Ben Hall stated, all of the details have yet to be worked out with these prototypes. A lot of Rick "aficionados" are just collectors anyway who can barely play the opening chord to A Hard Days Night.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

The folks that have seen and got the opportunity to plug and play one of these in here at NAMM have unanimously LOVED it. Yeah, the pickups are different, but that's because they are functional in as far as there is a larger aperture for the low B. The two magnets are aligned with the top and bottom edges underneath the cover. The tone is massive. A lot of compliments on the neck width by the way.

First day it's been available to order and we have already taken a few hundred orders, our dealers love it, especially at the $2499 MSRP. Looks to be a mainstay for at least a few years and I'm thinking the pickup MAY happen on new offerings in the future. Don't like it? Cool, BYE FELICIA :lol:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Thanks for chiming in Ben. Is that old style 4000 series guard set in stone? What about the pickup placement?
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

aceonbass wrote:Thanks for chiming in Ben. Is that old style 4000 series guard set in stone? What about the pickup placement?
Yes. Changing that probably would have been a bridge too far for even more people. Never been a fan of tear drops on 4001 or 4003 shapes myself.

The very first prototypes had the treble pup at the normal location, but we found that there was not much difference in sound between the pickups. We moved it south a bit and it has a much punchier sound.

I can't emphasize how f****** ballsy this bass sounds, I'll try to get some audio/video up.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Okay. Fair enough. Will there be a variant of this bass in the 4004 line?
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

4004? Nobody orders those.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

RIC_FACTORY wrote:...First day it's been available to order and we have already taken a few hundred orders, our dealers love it...
Excellent, news, Ben! :D
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

Like it or not... it's going to happen. :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Then, go for it! This is the way to see who goes along. You've done the research and planning, now what's left is to move the product, and what product it is, I am happy to say. Funny how it is that some of us old guard are the most receptive to this new look and features.

Once the bugs are ironed out I want to see one (or more) of these at my local Sam Ash. I do think a 4004/5L would be a great candidate bass.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”