Vintage "S" Ricks

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Re: Vintage "S" Ricks

Post by 325-at-2pm »

John, thanks for helping me get reconnected with Peter and the site. As you can see, Peter even let me use 325-at-2pm.

We'll talk soon. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Best regards,

Greg
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

325-at-2pm wrote:Could three guitars be just one?

Dave Marks, Danny De'Lacy, and John Hall, all the same?

Do you happen to know when the David Marks and John Hall pics were taken? The De'Lacy pic is supposedly from some summer NAMM type of show.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I don't know about Dave and Danny's guitars but mine was one that I specially ordered, received new (obviously), paid for by working in the warehouse, and played for a number of years.
325-at-2pm wrote:Do you know if the 1964 Rickenbacker Show photos are from a show in Chicago? Someone said they're from a show in Sandusky Ohio. Nothing against Sandusky, but I find it hard to believe that a major music trade show would take place there. It is a nice spot on Lake Erie, but Rickenbacker and Danny De'Lacy, and a 1964 NAMM-like convention flying high on the 1964 guitar/amp boom, seems to be a stretch.
This was not a NAMM show but rather the IML show which was held at Cedar Point in Sandusky. I know, because I was there! The Breakers Hotel was converted into a display venue where the various manufacturers displayed their wares to hundreds of kids from throughout the Midwest who had gathered to compete in a wide range of music events. These ranged from solo to large band contests. This was a very memorable time for me, one I'll never forget. (Donna, where are you?)

Shows of this type were quite common in that era and I remember attending different ones in Cleveland, Louisville, and New York.

The other thing that I remember is that the hotel guest rooms had just been repainted. Leaving all the furniture in place, everything, including the bathroom sink, had been painted in tan and white-flecked Zolatone. Utterly surreal!
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

I suddenly have The Four Seasons in my head... :lol:
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Mr. John Hall:

My first day back in years, and I feel honored that you responded to my question about the Sandusky Show.

We have a supplier in there in that section of Ohio, and I see that there is still a Breakers Hotel in Sandusky by the water. I'm not sure if it's the original building, but it looks like it might be a nice place to stay even today.

Was there also a NAMM at that point in 1964 in Chicago, or was the big show called something else in 1964? I remember my Dad brought me Nokie Edwards signed 45s of Walk Don't Run 64 and Slaughter on 10th Avenue after returning from the show in 64.

My Dad took me to what I thought was NAMM in LA circa 1966 or 1967. As I recall, it was jamming. I think they decided around that time to make LA the permanent home of NAMM, similar to what happened in Vegas with CES. 8)

Best regards,

Greg
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

JohnHall wrote:The other thing that I remember is that the hotel guest rooms had just been repainted. Leaving all the furniture in place, everything, including the bathroom sink, had been painted in tan and white-flecked Zolatone. Utterly surreal!
Oh My Gosh, the fumes from painting everything must have been tough, but white-flecked Zolatone had to take the prize.

Sounds like a trip to Sandusky is a must. I can do a walk-thru to see if their interior design skills have improved!

:wink:
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

325-at-2pm wrote:Was there also a NAMM at that point in 1964 in Chicago, or was the big show called something else in 1964? I remember my Dad brought me Nokie Edwards signed 45s of Walk Don't Run 64 and Slaughter on 10th Avenue after returning from the show in 64.

My Dad took me to what I thought was NAMM in LA circa 1966 or 1967. As I recall, it was jamming. I think they decided around that time to make LA the permanent home of NAMM, similar to what happened in Vegas with CES.
These shows were in addition to NAMM. NAMM had been in Chicago for many, many years, moving from the Palmer House Hotel, to the Furniture Mart, the Conrad Hilton Hotel, and in the end, McCormack Place. Unfortunately, the corruption at McCormack became such a problem that the show began to move each year; I went to Washington, DC, Houston, Atlanta, and New Orleans . . . and maybe somewhere else I've forgotten . . . with these shows.

Now this was the Summer NAMM, which was the big show. Intermittently there was a Winter NAMM which also moved between the Los Angeles Airport Marriott and The Fairmont in San Francisco.

NAMM itself finally pulled the plug in Chicago, moved headquarters to Carlsbad, California (probably mainly so the executive director could play golf all year long). Just prior to that, my dad had introduced them to the Anaheim Convention Center and the Winter show moved there permanently and also became the BIG show, instead of the summer one. It's been there ever since, except for two years in LA which Anaheim was being remodeled. It's also become, quite literally, the world/international show as the Frankfurt Messe became more of a regional event.

However, NAMM and the Messe have joined forces and both the Shanghai Music Fair and the new Moscow fair are gaining traction.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

325-at-2pm wrote:Do you know if the 1964 Rickenbacker Show photos are from a show in Chicago? Someone said they're from a show in Sandusky Ohio. Nothing against Sandusky, but I find it hard to believe that a major music trade show would take place there. It is a nice spot on Lake Erie, but Rickenbacker and Danny De'Lacy, and a 1964 NAMM-like convention flying high on the 1964 guitar/amp boom, seems to be a stretch.
:D
Maybe they had a deal with Cedar Point for lodging/entertainment, etc. that year.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

The last time I was at McCormack Place was is '97 for the National Restaurant Association show. Big place. Stayed at The Fairmont in San Fran last year. Coincidence? Yes. :lol: :lol:
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

I've been to a number of shows there myself. Always had fun. Usually stayed at Hilton towers, since it's fairly close. It's the hotel from The Fugitive (Harrison Ford). Love Chicago! CES Used to have a summer show there!
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Thought you all might find these pics interesting:

Headstock shape like Harrison and Arden, no volute, straight routes:

Sorry for the wrong TRC. I was going to put on a spare from a C63, but left it at work.

:) :) :)
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Cool, Greg..! :D
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Yes, but not a whole lot of interest so far...................................... :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

You haven't gotten to the good part!
collin

Post by collin »

sloop_john_b wrote:You haven't gotten to the good part!

+100

Show us the goods, Greg. :P
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

I would love to see more photos.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”