12 string bass guitar

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Hey Rob,
If I remember correctly, Hamer's Chapparal and Slammer series are made in Korea.

I also read at the 8/12 bass forum that the string spacing between the octave and fundamental strings is wider on the Korean Chapparal 12's than on the USA made B12L, thus requires more fretting area from the fingers. Maybe that's why you don't like it?
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Yes, my 12 stringer is made in Korea, not Taiwan. Please excuse my ignorance, since I haven't had it out in a while.

It's not the string spacing I'm worried about, it's the fear of wearing out the strings and having to spend all that time restringing/tuning that beast again!!! I do once in a while bring it out if I feel like getting some wierd sounds. But, that's not too often. It's fun while I'm in the mood, but a 4 stringer is enough for me.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Marc, sorry to hear about your problems with Musicvox. I was hoping to get a review of it...
Robert, I have had the same strings on my 12 for a year now and they still sound great. (S.I.T. string set). I play it for 5-6 songs every show, really adds some fullness to our guitar/bass/drums/keys band lineup.
Paul, there are some USA made Chapparals. Most of the ones you see on Ebay are the Korean ones. The older Chapparals are USA made and have the Hamer USA on the headstock. I think you might be on to something about the string spacing...
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
marc61

Post by marc61 »

" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

My eyes were on that one too! That one is a USA Hamer, it's a BEAUTY. If you can get that one, Marc, you will be a very happy guy. Image
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Matt agreed to refund my money. obviously even if I were to pay the same price(The Musicvox was $899) the Hamer is a better deal.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Go for the Hamer, Marc. You won't be disappointed, they are the best in the 12-string arena. Especially their USA series. You might even save money on the deal.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Actually, it looks like I may have to go higher in price rather than lower. Appearently that Red b12s that was on ebay belongs to the bass player from Skid Row who changed his mind on selling it for the moment. I e-mailed the seller to see if he'll reconsider.

The other one I'm looking at is this:

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=595553&home=dealer

I'm unfamiliar with Hamer pricing so I don't know if it's a good deal or not.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3765718106&rd=1
Try this one, price is right and I think you will be very happy with it!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I'm going to hold out a little longer to find the proper US model. Should have bid much higher on the short scale that sold yesterday.

Other than the Korean models, there just doesn't seem to be much for sale at all.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Those USA ones are few and far between, and that price was about right. If you can get that B12A you mentioned above, go for it. Thats one you won't see very often either, and a definite cut above the B12L and B12S.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Make sure you get the hardshell case with the B12A. You will never find another case to hold it. Image
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I think I found something more to my liking. It's a Hamer medium scale 12 string. I have it on order. Should be here Friday...

http://www.willcuttguitars.com/details.asp?stock_id=2995
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Got the 12 string today. It's awesome! Played nice right out of the box. Was actually almost in tune.Fits into my Reunion Blues double bass gig bag so I can take it along with a four string to rehearsal.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Very glad you like it Marc! When played loud, it can be a very dangerous weapon, so give it room! Image

Return to “The Low End”