Covering The Best

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
rictified

Post by rictified »

I myself thought Aerosmith butchered the song too and I've heard it wayyy to many times because they're from Ma.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

I think Cheap Trick's version of "Ain't That A Shame" was actually a cover of John Lennon's version, no? Great cover, either way.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Recently, I heard a cover of "Caroline, No" by They Might Be Giants. I didn't think it was so bad, actually.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

I just heard Aerosmith's Come Together driving around this evening, and since I brought it up I'll add my .02c. I think I'd be far more of an Aerosmith fan in general if it weren't for Steven Tyler. On Come Together in particular, his vocal just kills the song. Not a bad cover instrumentally; I think they added something in terms of energy but the lost alot of the dramatic intensity of the original.

And I never realized just how different that song is without McCartney's bass. It's just nowhere near the same.
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
rictified

Post by rictified »

Oh yeah I thought the worst part was Hamilton's picked trebly bass lines. I like them and think thye're talented but that song was terrible. Yeah his voice wasn't too great on that one either, I think that was when they were still all strung out, sounds it.
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

This is an easy one - the Byrds covering Tambourine Man. Other Dylan covers by McGuinn & Co. (Really Want Do, Chimes, Back Pages) were great covers, but Tambourine Man defined a major rock genre. The one Byrd's Dylan cover I felt lacked something was Times They are a-Changing.

One final thought about the Byrds and cover songs, how about Hey Joe??? The Byrds version was the first I remember, and I think it preceeded Hendrix, but don't quote me on that. But the real kicker is Zappa & the Mothers' satirical version on We're Only in it for the Money (Hey Punk where ya going with that flower in you're hand???)
harley

Post by harley »

I've always like the Rolling Stones doing "Like A Rollin' Stone". Mick Jagger could bring smart-alec attitude to just about anything and, what they do with Motown is just amazing. "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", "Just My Imagination" and "My Girl" are all excellent cover versions.
rictified

Post by rictified »

But the real kicker is Zappa & the Mothers' satirical version on We're Only in it for the Money (Hey Punk where ya going with that flower in you're hand???)

haha! Gotta love The Mothers.

I never heard the Stones do "My Girl" and "Like a Rolling stone", were those live cuts?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mr Girl is on (Flowers?)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mr. Girl is not, but MY girl might be.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

I love the Stones but some of their early R&B covers are really bad although I like most of them and it's actually the production usually that's terrible, ever hear "Under the Boardwalk" by them?
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Under the Boardwalk, shirley you jest, Bob? Can't say I've heard the Stones version. Can't say I could hear the Stones attempting to do it either.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
harley

Post by harley »

"My Girl" is on Flowers and "Under The Boardwalk" is on 12X5.

12X5, by the way, was the first Rolling Stones Album I ever owned. It was passed down to me by a slightly older Aunt who loved the Stones and, I am embarrased to say, could not STAND the Beatles. So, long before people divided up into Paul versus John, the kids of her time were dividing up between Stones and Beatles.
harley

Post by harley »

The power of suggestion being what it is, I pulled out my CD copy of 12X5 to re-listen to "Under The Boardwalk". If I was ever to try to do a cover version of this song, I'd probably start with the Stones version.

There are some interesting cover choices on 12X5. "Around And Around" by Chuck Berry, "It's All Over Now" by Bobby Womack (?) and "Susie Q" played faster than any other version I can remember hearing. It also had "Time Is On My Side", which appears to be a cover version since it was written by Jerry Ragovoy. Does anyone know who, if anyone, did this before they did?
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

Irma Thomas did Time is on my Side. Great song, my favorite by the Stones. It's all Over Now is right up there as well.

BTW, I have Like a RS on the Stones Stripped CD that came out in the mid-90s.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”