Blues Run the Game

Putting music theory into practice
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Sorry, i don't understand your point, Brian.
EDIT: What am i missing here? I really want to understand.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

You started off generalizing and then narrowed your comments to the cousin of blues...jazz.

They are somewhat related although very different genres. I don't have time to explain the difference today but I will if you wish at some time in the future.

Suffice it to say that comparing jazz and blues is like looking at the relationship between dysfunctional siblings. They have the same ancestry and some commonality but their form of expression is quite different.

Jazz in large part is all about playing free form around a musical structure and generally invoking a feeling, whereas blues is all about setting up a groove and creating a mood that propels the listener into being an active participant someone else's personal experience or feelings.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, i was just bringing examples. I can bring more, from other genres. "She talks to rainbows" by the Ramones. "Hide away" by Creedence or "Unbearable lightness of being" by Tom Fogerty. And many more. And my point was not to compare the genres, i was just saying one can express their feelings or tell the story in any genre, but there are differences between the genres, of course. Same goes to listeners being involved (IMHO).
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

I'd say any good song makes the listener feel the emotions that inspired the writer to write that song, regardless of genre.
A bad song inspires the listener to wonder why they just wasted 3 minutes of their life, which they'll never get back.

"...A.M radio is proof that hell is full & the dead walk the Earth.."
Plus five minus five!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Sheena I am a dyed in the wool blues fan. You have to understand that when you compare the music and the craft that I love to other genres (that mean very little to me by comparison) in very general and generic terms intimating that they are on an equal footing when it comes to expressing the pain and suffering and deep intimate feelings that blues artists, who have paid their dues, openly share with the world, the wall comes up for me.

I have never purchased a record by Creedence Clearwater or the Ramones. They are not my bag.

Sorry to disappoint. Now I wish I had kept my thoughts to myself. Image

True Kevin, but that was not my point.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Brian, I agree with you. Blues is different, in a way. Although, any modern music you hear these days is derived from blues, so in a round about way, she is right. So if you want to say the Ramones can do it, they do it because blues came first. You have to go back to the fields for the "hollers", and for the rhythm, that will take you back to Africa.

And don't limit blues to 12 bar blues, that is just one style. I don't play it for a living, but I study it pretty hard and I am trying to get a non profit off of the ground. It is called "The Gospel Blues Society".

Jazz was formed when "blues" musicians met blacks who were classically trained in Europe and brought the brass section to the south.

I know it's the nickel version, but my book is not even started yet. I am trying to make Gospel Blues a legitimate genre, along with the history and the whole nine yards. I just need to find a few people who have the same passion, and maybe a little more smarts on how to run a non profit corp, to get on the BOD.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I think everyone made great points here, and no one is "wrong." I prefer oranges myself, but occasionally I eat apples too.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

No problem. For me, the wall doesn't come up even when somebody says punk is ****. I know it isn't, but tastes differ, and it's fine by me. Every genre is unique in their own way (IMHO). That's all. And i think Kevin said it best. I'm not disappointed, anyway - why should i be?..
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

Don't get me wrong here, because I love blues music - love hearing it, love playing it - but, to me, it's limited in a lot of respects. And I guess those traditional limitations in terms of structure and delivery (playing) styles are what make up the genre - same as any other genre or style.

But I really identify with what Sheena's said here. The blues is not the only style that has an "exclusive" hold on being the *only* form of music that can relate a story, or elicit happy or sad emotions from any given listener in the most effective way (from the writer/musician's point of view).

Just saying, if you want some "My baby done me wrong and I'm so sad but I'm gonna get her back someday" kind of stories in songs, those can be found in ANY kind of music - from Elvis Costello, to country (even the "new country" which I don't like), to folk/alt/country or whatever you want to call it - talking about guys like John Hiatt. Or, to get into a more complex player - like Richard Thompson... Among many others.

I'm just saying that "the blues" feeling and expression isn't something that's held *only* by the people who write or play in the traditional blues style. To me, those elements can be (and have always been) expressed in genres/styles other than what could be considered "strictly blues" - if that makes sense.
morrow

Post by morrow »

I have been playing in blues bands since the mid 70's. We have an odd mix of styles here in Atlantic Canada. Dutch Mason made swing shuffles popular so we have a lot of the Kansas City influence. Most guys here have done a study of the classic Chicago Chess recordings and there is also a delta and New Orleans rhumba and funk influence. Later West Coast bands like the Hollywood Fats Band are also part of the vocabulary as are the early TBirds. T Bone Walker is a larger influence here than Stevie Ray.. We have a lot of good players around here and a strong scene. Everyone brings something different to the table.

I find that my aproach changes with each person that I play with. It can be exciting and passionate music to play. It is always changing. There is a lot of joy and celebration in a good blues band.
morrow

Post by morrow »

( when I first started showing up at gigs with a Rick instead of the usual old Pbass I got a lot of WTF untill they heard the sound. You can get a nice classic thump with a bypassed cap and an older set of flats )
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Charley,

That sounds like a great project. I applaud your commitment.

Morrow hit the nail on the head with his comments. Blues is an extremely passionate genre. It is not just "my baby done me wrong" stuff, just like country is not just my wife left me, my dog died and my old pickup truck just blew a piston.

captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

To me, punk rock was entirely about passion, and
making the most of what you've got. Otherwise, I would never have picked up a guitar.

Thanks
Greg "never took a lesson" Howley

PS: here's a fun clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salbSLGlePM
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I couldn't have put it better, Greg! Passion and truth. And bare emotion. That's why i love it!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

"And I guess those traditional limitations in terms of structure and delivery (playing) styles are what make up the genre - same as any other genre or style."

I call it freedom within the form.

This is a bit controversial but, most of the music of the early Americans before the slave trade, referenced God. The early hollers didn't, but as the owners let blacks come to church(not for long, they then built separate ones as they were too rowdy!), their plight and Goid came together. The earliest blues, are what I call Gospel Blues. As I stated before, the brass instruments9 and classical training) were introduced and jazz developed. All of the rest of American pop music came out of this melting pot.

So of course, all other genres have it. That's what blues brought to the table. In Gospel Blues, there is ALWAYS hope amid the despair.

I know many probably don;thtink so, but the difference between Gospel Blues, and secular blues, is fascinating! Of course, I am speaking only of lyrics.

Well, I 'll get ready to duck now!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”