Hamer 12 String Bass For Sale

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Deal done, bass shipped today. Can't wait to play it.

Rob was a standup guy to deal with. Thanks, Rob!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

So what colour are you going to paint it, Paul? Something this cool deserves better than 'none more black', don't you think?
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Here's what I did with mine...
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Well, I hope you enjoy it, Paul. I know I let it go dirt cheap. But, I had it a long while and had to let it go to someone who could enjoy it better than me.

I kept on worrying too much on keeping the strings clean, since a new set of them was $50.00. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on this, even though it sounds excellent and it does keep in tune for a long time. (I did a string change on this once, and it bugged the %#$@ out of me!)
So, I figured it was more of a headache to me than enjoyment. I'm sticking to four strings from now on in.

BTW, if you refinish it, Paul, I'm not gonna care about this one. As long as it's not a goofy paint job!
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Rob, you can get a 12 string set of SIT's (which I use on mine) for around $35...hope that doesn't make you regret selling it... Image
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Oddly, the two factors that cinched this purchase for me were the black finish and its excellent condition, judging from the photos and Rob's description.

So, I have no plans for a refinish on this one. Had it been chipped, nicked and rashed, I would have gone for it, though.

I will be changing the string order, though, with octave strings on the bottom of each set, and bass on top, a lá Rick. Just makes more sense to me, especially if I'm going to be playing it with a pick.

But, that's it. The black is just too cool.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Well, $35 for a set is also expensive enough. That could be a gas tank fill up. Of course, I bought the set (which were Hamer brand, BTW) from GC, so that's why the $50 price tag. I'd much rather stick with four strings and pay somewhere around $17 or so a set. Plus, tuning is that much easier. In a way, I will miss the 12 string. I did have some fun making some interesting sounds out of it, especially when experimenting with harmonics.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Paul, I find that I upstroke the string more often than not on mine...just have gotten used to playing it that way! Especially if I am trying to emphasize the bass note and not the octaves. I can also play it "Normally" and almost always just pick the bass string, "if I want to", which is rarely. I prefer the sound of the octaves in there, it is huge.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

And my style, odd as it may seem, is mostly pick downstroke stuff. I have no plans for removing the octave strings, just moving them...
― Kurt Vonnegut
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Makes sense to change it around to me - do you anticipate any unusual challenges in rearranging the tuners? Looks like there are 4 bass and 8 guitar machines up there.....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Have not had a chance to do a close inspection yet, but I've read another bassist's account of changing them on his 12ver, and he mentions nothing about plugging, which would be the worst case scenario, and dead easy with the black headstock.

So, I'll wait until I get the bass next Friday and have a good gander.
― Kurt Vonnegut
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I've actually thought about switching the octave set around before. That would mean that I (now you, Paul) would have to switch one octave tuner with a bass tuner, and drill one of the octave string's tuner post hole bigger to accommedate the larger bass tuner. Hence, now you have another large post hole where the bass tuner once was. I don't think you can screw the octave string tuner on where the bass tuner once was. So, I decided to leave well enough alone.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I see. Well, since it's black and the tuners do have washers. I'll be sleeving the oversized ones down, and opening up four others.

I will lathe-turn some sleeves and super-glue 'em into place. It's simple to remove them should I desire to do so later on. Depending upon the size difference, I may have to refin the headstock, but that's quick work, thanks to the black factory finish.
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “The Low End”