Covering The Best

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"It's All Over Now" is a fantastic song and one of the reasons why I liked the Rolling Stones in the beginning.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

That was also my first Stones album, got it when it was new on Christmas, that album was recorded partly at the Chess studios in Chicago where the great sounding muscular stuff came from and in England where it sounded like it was recorded through a megaphone, haha! Under The boardwalk was a megaphone tune. I know the Chess sound, part of that album sounds like the whole first Stones album which I assume was all done in England. (I'm not blaming England, probably the engineers and/or producers)
Don't ask me how I know that because it's not on the back of the album but I know I read it somewhere and the two different sounds on there are like night and day.
I also remember people liking either the Stones or The Beatles, I would alternate back and forth, the radio stations used to have contests as a matter of fact. Beatles VS DC5, Beatles VS Stones etc. The Beatles always won.
Also the woman who recorded "Time is on my Side" which was only about 6 months earlier was really PO'ed because they basically mimed it exactly as she had recorded it, including the spoken part in the middle, you don't think Mick Jagger could have come up with that accent himself do you?
I've been singing Suzy Q that style for years now. That is also my favorite Stones LP. I just bought a new Abko vinyl 12 x 5 LP, sounds great.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I cam remember buying and playing the hell out of that 45, Peter! If you listen, each player can be heard distinctly, playing really exciting parts. Very unusual for their early records. Most of the early records sounded so muddy and engineered for the two inch automobile speaker...
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rictified

Post by rictified »

That's what I mean about part of the album being recorded at Chess studios, there was a very distinct difference. I cannot remember where I read it though, but if you listen to a lot of blues you can hear that sound in some of those tunes on that record. I'ts All Over now" "Around and around" " Confessing the Blues" (Little Walter did a version much like their later version which I'm sure they were aquainted with, he was also on Chess at that time) come to mind right away. My brother in law has an old LP bootleg of the stuff recorded there and the whole LP sounds great even though it's very scratchy, it's got bootleg live Beatles on the other side.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Bob, the Chess sessions were the only real good ones pre-1967. You're right! Although on that one record they really sounded like a band!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rictified

Post by rictified »

I love that album, always have, I like the way "Around and Around" opens, put the stereo really loud and Jagger snarls, yeah! I'll bet they were great in small clubs.
I like Englands Newest Hitmakers also althought the ahem.. mix leaves a lot to be desired. I like most of their early stuff except for the really badly recorded poppy stuff.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”