Who's still waiting on a BBR?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Who's still waiting on a BBR?

Post by nukebass »

Back in 06 (Spring sometime if I recall correctly) the MB were closed out and a number were released. A total of three BBRs were shipped prior to the "big" shipment this year. Other than that, they release the few at NAMM and a FG Laredo came out some time last year. That's pretty much it as far as I recall and I've been watching a lot. I can't remember who posted it, but someone said he bought a guitar (360, I think) that just got to his dealer that was ordered the summer of 06 and it was a standard color. I had assumed more progress on the backlog had been made and it didn't still take 2 years to get a bread and butter model in a standard color. If this few 4004s are ordered, it would make buisness sense to cancel it, but maybe they're just saving up for a super huge run. Also, with the price increases, how much money can RIC be making since the BBRs are all still at 05 prices? There profit margin must be taking a big hit with a 3 year wait.
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

This is my first read on this thread, and I was amazed at the date of the first post and how here at the end you guys are still awaiting their arrival. I hope you guys get your instruments very soon. Anticipation is one thing, but this is borderline insane.

And I also really, really would like to see that BBR Mando 8)
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Hey Paul,

September 10th, what a great day!

It's the PEAK of hurricane season here in Fla......and my birthday. :?

You can wrap it up and send it on if you get MINE, sorry...yours before I do! :lol: :twisted:

I believe it was Ben, or was it Eric....stinks getting old, ANYWAY....a large run of these bad boys is slotted for this fall, if I remember correctly.

I'm holding on to the HAPPY thought that they are saving the very best for last! :wink:
Sexy, highly figured Maple, sweet sounding Walnut (hey, how can a fat guy not like a RIC sandwich), and the PERFECT blend of BBT. Delivery date on 9/10 would be PERFECT! :wink: :wink:

IF it comes ANY later than that, I'm shafted. Sr. Managment has already informed me if it does, it's going away to be put under the Christmas Tree! SO, I will be the last to get my hands on one! :( :( :( :( :( :(

I hope they don't discontinue the 4004, I have hopes of one day getting one in a fretless model. I just think it is like the 4002, just slightly ahead of its time. IF it is as sweet as all you say it is, I'd love to order another. It looks like a great platform that so much can be done with it. We've seen the 5 string, how about an 4004 8 banger or a 6 string Fretless? 8)

Hmmmm, RIC-0-SMELL is coming!
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Yeah, "ahead of its time" since 1993. That was the first year of production 4004C Cheyenne and 4004L Laredo. Fifteen years now. The problem is when faced with a choice of ordering a new Rick bass, you're likely to hear "well, they haven't made the 4004 in some time, and ordering one now might mean a wait of two, three years, or more. If you order a 4003, it may come within a year, but you could likely find one right now if you shop around." So, I think, more folks will rethink which Rick to buy and choose the "standard" 4003, further increasing the demand and backlog on the 4003, and decreasing same for the 4004. I invite John, Ben, Eric, Kenny, or anyone from RIC to comment, please!
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

I'm still waiting for a 4003 BBR. To me the most difficult part is not knowing where I'm up to. After this much time (and soo many 4003 bbr's allready delivered) I start to think things like it might be the shop where I ordered it might not have a correct placed order. Or maybe Rick dont want to deliver to them anymore. Or whoever knows what......

My customers get a prediction on the time it takes me to get my work done. And I'm always conservative when I tell how much time it takes. You better tell them its four times as long as you think initially and deliver at 3 times as long than tell 1.5 times and deliver at 2. They will be happy in the first situation. They will be disappointed in the last.
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

But when your 4003 BBR arrives Bert, its going to be a rare beastie as it will have the full width inlays!
I feel for Paul and Tony (and anyone else waiting for a 4004cii BBR). I was lucky enough to get one from the small run the RIC did in the spring. The only thing I can figure is that I ordered mine in early 2005 whereas Paul and Tony ordered theirs later in the year, and hence the wait. What I find surprising is that the spring run of 4004ciis was so small. I would have thought that gearing up the production line to produce a model would require a minimum of units to justify the change. The only thing that makes sense is that RIC's manufacturing process can accommodate small runs without too much (if any) disruption to overall production.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Steve, maybe the run was small because the run was for NAMM and the others were "just in case" basses. A guess.
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

johnallg wrote:Steve, maybe the run was small because the run was for NAMM and the others were "just in case" basses. A guess.
If that were how they ran them, they would have made a few more each year. There are always a few made for NAMM, and there weren't really any more made in 07 except those. They always tempt you with pictures of the MID 4004L!! Stop it!! I can't afford another one!!! :mrgreen: (they also put out the MID 650s...what a combo!)

I like to think they couldn't get enough really nice charactered maple and couldn't make as many as they wanted to and had to limit the run. It sounds good, anyway.

Tony and I, I believe, ordered from the same dealer. I'm next in line and I think Tony is towards the end, but I hope they get delivered pretty close together. I reserved mine in November of 05 and the bass was ordered by the dealer in March. I think at that time, there were a couple left unordered and he then ordered a couple more in December prior to the cutoff.

Tony, let's hope for a joyful blue Christmas this year :!:
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

nukebass wrote:
I like to think they couldn't get enough really nice charactered maple and couldn't make as many as they wanted to and had to limit the run. It sounds good, anyway.

Tony and I, I believe, ordered from the same dealer. I'm next in line and I think Tony is towards the end, but I hope they get delivered pretty close together. I reserved mine in November of 05 and the bass was ordered by the dealer in March. I think at that time, there were a couple left unordered and he then ordered a couple more in December prior to the cutoff.

Tony, let's hope for a joyful blue Christmas this year :!:
I was thinking the very same thing about the maple Ryan.

But as someone else has mentioned, I just assumed that when the factory set up to make a run, I just thougth they'd pump out a bunch of 'em at once. I have no idea how these things are done, but I was hopeful!

Yes, I'm pretty sure we ordered from the same dealer. I think I'm second to last on that list too.

Yes, a BBT Christmas would be great this year! :D
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

86kubicki wrote:But when your 4003 BBR arrives Bert, its going to be a rare beastie as it will have the full width inlays!
True. :) And new neck and adjustable pole pieces and vintage tone switch.... I'm not complaining about the Rick itself. I just wish I would knew when it arives. Even if it would mean another year waiting.
webhead
Veteran RRF member

Post by webhead »

I'm also waiting on a 4004Cii. I forgot the date that I ordered it. I know it was a while back because I've changed jobs twice since then.
"Take the RIC... Leave the cannoli."

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”