Retrofitting Scatterwounds to a 370/12RME1

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mark_telfer
Veteran RRF member

Retrofitting Scatterwounds to a 370/12RME1

Post by mark_telfer »

I'm considering retrofitting scatterwounds to my 370/12RME1. I'm unhappy with the boomy sound that I get with the compressor switched off, but I don't want to risk compromising the authentic sound that I get with the compressor switched on. Can anyone comment from experience ?
"But the man has a 47-string guitar." (Grace Slick on Paul Kantner's attempt to tune his 366/12 during a Winterland show of October 31 1969).
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Never tried this, but I can't imagine it would make your tone any less desireable.If you're willing to spend the $$$, go for it! This is one of those happily reversible mods if you aren't
satisfies with the end result. Let us know if you do this!!
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Mark: Maybe you could try one in the front (treble) position first..the difference may be more noticable from there. I base this on the sound I get from my 360/12CW--it has factory scatterwounds and MAN you can tell a big difference!!! Good Luck. Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark: John's suggestion is a good one in that you can keep the cost of your experiment to a minimum. You will be able to get your money back from the resale of this pickup at some point should you not like the change. I consider it to be an interesting experiment and one that I would also feel like carrying out had I the good fortune to own a 370/12RM. My sense is, however, that the difference between the pickups may not be quite as dramatic as you might imagine. Can I assume that you experimented with the "booming sound" by changing settings on your amplifier?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
westcoastphil

Post by westcoastphil »

Mark: I have a JG 370RM12 and a few years ago, before scatterwounds were offered, I decided to unwind the pickups using the Ted Breaux method (which you can find in the Rick AGR forum FAQ).

The sound quality improved quite a bit and the clarity is much more pronounced. My favorite setting when using the compressor is the notch before the treble boost setting. Before unwinding the pickups the sound was at best muddy. It just didn't have something to it. After unwinding it sounds very authentic to the '60s sound. The treble boost setting is very harsh by itself, so you'll have to make adjustments on your amp so as not to break glass.

For live settings I rarely use the compressor because the quality in the non-compressor tone improved so much. I use the compressor mostly when recording.

BTW, I run my 370RM12 through a Vox AC15TBX. HTH
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Mark, IMHO I think you will like the result; I had a 370/12RME1 and found the guitar to have the increased sustain and even attack associated with the onboard compressor, but not a noticable gain in signal or tone which you may get with the scatter-wounds. It could very well 'wake up' your guitar, if you so desire!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark: After hearing these comments I am most interested in the outcome. Should you make the changes please give us a full report. From the preliminary comments here, it would seem that there may indeed be a benefit. Thanks John and Phil for your information.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I've never tried this change but I would imagine that the compressor board would need to be re-adjusted to work satisfactorily, as it was designed to work with a higher level of signal than the "low gains" provide. There's a set factory spec for the adjustment of the pot on the circuit board but that goes out the window when you change the pickups, so you'd just have to adjust it to your taste.

Also, if you look carefully at the circuit board, you'll also note an additional pot adjustment hole in the PCB and surrounding pot pads in the circuit. Coming from the factory these were stuffed with fixed resistors, but these can be removed and replaced with a trimmer instead, a 100K as I recall (the same as the other trimmer). This will allow for additional gain adjustment.

Be careful, however; these boards are irreplaceable at this point. This is a job for those familiar with electronics and PCB's.
westcoastphil

Post by westcoastphil »

That's correct. I had to readjust the trim pot control on the compressor to suit my style of playing, more on par with Townshend rather than McGuinn.

Thank you John Hall for the additional info on the board, I may have try this mod.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”