Book about Gene Clark

Those who flock to The Byrds
malvernlink

Book about Gene Clark

Post by malvernlink »

Hello fellow Byrds fans. Just finished reading "Mr. Tambourine Man" by John Einerson and highly recommend it. A truly sad story about the tremendously talented song writer and singer Gene Clark. Lots of history on the Byrds also.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

I'll add my enthusiastic endorsement as well.

John's book is exhaustively researched, engagingly written, and fascinating from start to finish. Virtually every friend, family member, musician and contemporary of Gene's was interviewed.

As John relates, the contradictions with Gene Clark are amazing: he was a romantic with a series of troubled relationships; a poet who never read; an entertainer who hated to perform; a revered pop icon who couldn't stand the attention. Yet despite his many problems, he was one of the most prolific writers of his generation.

A must-have for all Byrds' fans.
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Is this a new book? I read Einerson's Springfield book and enjoyed it. I have also read the huge Byrd tome by that fellow in the UK. I never knew that Gene also wrote KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN until after he had passed.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Info from the Barnes & Noble website:

Product Details:
ISBN: 0879307935
Format: Paperback, 339pp
Pub. Date: March 2005
Publisher: Backbeat Books
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Steve, your right. The book is a must-have for Byrd fans. Here was a guy that wrote some of the most amazing, poetic-imaged, insightful music that I have ever, had the pleasure too listen to. It's had to believe that he wasn't taken serious while he was The Byrds.

His first solo album is still my favorite of his. I highly recommend it.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I have a friend in San Diego who was a personal friend of Gene's. I'll have to see whether I can find a copy locally for him, as I'm sure he would enjoy it (as would I).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

Boy, it's a good book but Clark was a very melancholy man. It's kind of depressing me. I'm about halfway through it and it's coloring my whole mood. Has that ever happened to any of you? I'll probably finish it though I know it'll get sadder. Frankly, I was dissappointed to find out Gene never sent any money home to his poor family w/ 12 siblings after his successes in the New Christy Minstrels OR The Byrds. Hopefully it was because he thought they were too proud to accept it, as opposed to the obvious thought that he was just too selfish to bother.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Steve, afraid it doesn't get much happier. I sort of understand Clark's mood swings and social quirks. My eldest daughter is bi-polar and her bouts with depression and anxiety can go to the extreme. She has medication. Clark was undiagnosed and his medication was booze. People like Gene don't mean to be self-centered it is a flaw in the personality. And tack on his choice of careers and you have all the makings of a strange and sad life.
Might add though this takes nothing away from Clark's musical and lyrically contribution. The guy was talented but had more than his fair share of demons.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

I saw Gene's version of the Byrds at a Houston show back in the mid 80's at the old Arena Theatre.

I had an aisle seat right where the band members had to walk to exit the stage (in the round).

There was a great standing ovation as Gene and the group left the stage.

I held out my hand to shake Gene's as he walked past me.

As we were shaking hands he looked at me with the saddest expression on his face.
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

I saw Gene and "the Byrds" around the same time that Karl did (circa 1985) at a tiny little dive in the thriving metropolis of Port Matilda, Pennsylvania (which is NOT a port!).

His face looked like a road map, it was so creased with age and abuse. He chain-smoked during the entire performance. Nevertheless, Gene and the band - which included Carlos Bernal, Nicky Hopkins, and John York - did an excellent job of recreating the Byrds hits. I particularly remember Gene singing "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better."

I had hoped to speak to Gene after the show, but he refused to meet with his fans.

I'n currently reading the bio, and have gotten up to around 1974. His story is incredibly sad, especially considering his enormous talent.

I can't help but think that Gene would have been much better off in a role like P.F. Sloan's, writing songs and producing others, rather than putting himself out there as a performing artist. He was unable to tour due to his fear of flying, and suffered from severe stage fright. The record business is just not equipped to deal with artists who are not able to tour in support of their albums.

Incidentally, I was pleased to see lots of quotes from Domenic Priore's unpublished 1985 interview with Gene. Domenic's a good friend of mine, and he told me about the interview, but I had never heard the tapes.
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

I too, saw Gene's 'THE BYRDS' show in North Hollywood's famous PALAMINO club in what I'm guessing was about '87-'88, as i moved here from Texas in '86.
I was also very impressed w/ the sound quality. John York was playing the McGuinn parts, but it wasn't on a Rick 12 (Can I say that here?). It appeared to be either a gibson 335-type 12 string or perhaps an epiphone. I guess Rick Roberts had already left the band, but it sounded full and very rockin'. Clark seemed to be in an okay mood, but didn't say much. A humorous note- At one point there was some extended tuning time between songs and York said, "Some things never change!" I wondered how many people got it?
6l6

Post by 6l6 »

Saw Gene and his Byrds group perform around 1985 at the Concord Pavilion in Concord, CA.

Gene's singing wasn't so hot, but the guy on the 12-string was really nailing everything. In fact, he did almost a 10 MINUTE solo on EMH that had the crowd standing and just going nuts!

It's amazing that out of the original Byrds, Crosby is one of the ones still alive...

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' either..."
325_fan

Post by 325_fan »

Did Gene have top teeth in those early days. I've always wondered about that. Either they are really small or they're not there at all.
rick36

Post by rick36 »

Karl, I know what you mean. I was fortunate enough to see McGuinn and Gene Clark together (just the two of them) acoustic, probably in '78 or '79, but Gene did have that distant air about him. Still, it was great to see him as he played his acoustic guitar and sang "Silver Raven" among the other numbers, with Roger accompanying on his Martin 12 string. They arrived at the very small venue at different times, McGuinn walking briskly aloof. Gene came through apprehensively, on edge. A wonderful writer and vocalist, he's sorely missed by his many fans - myself included. I'll have to get the book.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Steve;
John York was playing a red mid 60s Guild Starfire XII w the Byrds tribute.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”