Byrds Sheet Music/Tabature

Those who flock to The Byrds
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Byrds Sheet Music/Tabature

Post by loverickbass »

I got my first 12'er a couple months ago and have really dove head first into it. I haven't touched another instrument since. It has taken me a good while to learn TTT and MTM kinda' sorta' like McGuinn does it on the Homespun DVD. The problem that I'm having now is finding sheet music or tabature for more Byrds classics. I've found lots of chords for the songs on the web but no tab. I really like to play the song as he would and besides I really suck at trying to figure it out by hear. You guys have any suggestions on where to find tabs? Doesn't have to be free, I'm willing to pay good money for it! Image

Cole
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have never seen a comprehensive Byrds' tabulature.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Man, we sure need one! Looks like a good project for someone. Image

Cole
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Cole:

E-mail me privately and I can perhaps help you with Byrds' songs. When I first learned how to play guitar, I learned BYRDS!!!! I'm also on the Byrds' website for offering tabs on 3 songs.

Karl
No electric guitar can compare to the "jingle-jangle" of a Rickenbacker!!!
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks Karl!!! I will give you an email soon.

Cole

Yippie Image
goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie »

Try ultimateguitar.com

It has a pretty decent selection of Byrd tabs. Although some are flawed, it's a good place to start.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks for that Tom, I'll check it out.

Cole
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

Truefire.com has a mp3-pdf version of an article that ran in Guitar Player Mag in 1996...has the intros for MTM TTT, Bells of Rhymney, RnR star, Renassiance Fair, MyBack Pages and 8MH..also the rhythm guitar part too...the interplay between McGuinn and Crosby was pretty cool...the tabs are dead=on accurate...Truefire requires you to sign up ...and the lesson isnt free...they used to give a credit upon signing up but I dont know if thats still the case..

Roger has some tab at his website. There is some decent tasb for stuff like the break to Bells of Rhymney floating around the OLGA sites...

Most of the published stuff isn't real good..but it will give you the chord progressions..which gets you in the door...

There is some excellent B bender tab in the Books and Tab section at [url=http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com...but]www.clarencewhiteforum.com...but[/url] thats later day stuff...and not Rickenbacker driven...

Alot of the early stuff isnt too hard to figure out once you get some basic moves down...like chord suspensions...and Roger liked to play on the third string while droning the B and Es open...ala TTT...or unison stuff..."It Wont Be Wrong"...try differrnt chord inversions...bass runs between chords...go to the "Jangle Box" website and learn the intro to "Chimes or Freedom"...the melody formed by the the bass runs ala "Chimes" was another early Byrds trademark......and finger, cross or hybrid pick...don't strum...
goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie »

Now we're talkin'...great description Don.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

That's some great info Don,thanks!

My big thing now is trying to figure out those passing chords he's playing on TTT and MTM.

Cole
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don: I have been to that site and cannot find the Byrds Article from Guitar Player. Is it still there?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie »

On the Homespun DVD, I noticed he plays TTT's passing chords differently in slow-mo compared to regular speed.
I'm comfortable playing TTT, but there are a couple deceptive transitions I can't seem to master. His unusual chord fingering positions also make it difficult to observe when he's fretting 2 strings with 1 finger.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Peter, I have that article in PDF form if you or anyone else wants a copy. There's also a great picture of Roger with his 372-12/6 MG.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Steve,

Zap me a copy to my email.

Thanks, Stan
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie »

Stan, me too please. Tom

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”