M 14 A amp

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jwilli
RRF Consultant

M 14 A amp

Post by jwilli »

Hi, recently bought a model M-14-A Rick amp. Any one have info on this particular amp? I haven't seen one in any old Rickenbacker catalogs. Thanks, John
Will send a pic when the amp arrives.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good news John. The M-14A is a six tube model equipped with tremolo that has a speed control. It was stocked with a 12 inch heavy duty Jensen speaker. It has an easily accessible top-mounted control panel and from left to right consists of four inputs, master volume, tremelo volume, speed and tone controls, jeweled light switch indicator and on/off switch. The volume 1 input operates with or without the tremelo unit through a foot switch. Folks looking for foot switches have had recent success by contacting RIC directly. I believe the cabinet is 22 X 19 X 9 inches covered in stag gray. Please send photos and assist in corrections with the above description that may be inaccurate. I consider that you will be well pleased with this model.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Peter, thanks for the info. The amp made it here today unscathed. Its in very nice shape. I cleaned it up a bit and took it directly to Clark Amplification here in town for a thorough check up. I should have it back in two weeks. The tech compared it to a Fender Tweed Deluxe ( I believe). Maybe 18-22 watts. I'll have pics up and a review of the amp too, when it gets back to me.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

BTW, instead of reading "tremolo", it reads "tremlo". Must be a Rick thing.
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Well, RIC may have had "spelling" to overcome... but at least they knew what a tremolo effect WAS. How about Fender calling the vibrato unit on their guitars by the name: "Tremolo."
Member #03
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

The amp guru called me today. He said that he put a new power cord on it. Thats all it needed. Even the tubes were fine. He also said that he would replace alot of "electronic thingies"(my words, not his) if I wanted him to. I'm going to pick it up on Monday and play it for a week before I decide if I want him to replace anything. He's not sure if the speaker is original. I think it is. He says its an Oxford or something. Anyone got a clue on this particular speaker?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: I have to believe that the tubes, unless recently replaced are due anytime now. Oxford speakers were used in a number of amplifiers in the 1960s. Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ and Pro Tweed amps used Oxford. To my knowledge, RIC used Jensens, however, who knows what substitutions they made over the years. The code on the speaker must lead your tech to consider that it is original, or maybe the holes in it. LOL. I can hardly wait to see the photos.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

12N6L12 is on the back of the speaker. There is another set of letters/numbers on the housing that covers the magnet: LS1214Z1650 Anyone care to clue me in? Thanks, John
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

BTW, 465 834 is also on the speaker and I found out that it means it is an Oxford speaker made in the 34th week of '58 or '68.
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

JW:

If no one here knows, I'm certain you can get the answer at the "Speakers" Bulletin Board, over at Weber site.

http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html
Member #03

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”