Liverpool Overhead Railway

History and music of Liverpool
admin
Site Admin

Liverpool Overhead Railway

Post by admin »

One of the most innovative transportation systems to be developed in the latter part of the 19th Century was the Liverpool Overhead Railway. Developed to by pass the clutter of heavy horse and people traffic in the streets the "Dockers' Umbrella" was openned in 1893 by the Marquis of Salisbury. Interesting photos and descriptive material is available at The Liverpool Overhead Railway site that is well worth the visit. This site seems to have been discontinued shortly after this post.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scouser
Veteran RRF member

Post by scouser »

I remember coming home from school one day in 1953 and hearing that a cruise liner, the EMPRESS OF CANADA, had caught fire and was burning out of control in Gladstone Dock, on the Liverpool waterfront. My friends and I rushed down to the promenade to see what was going on, across the River Mersey.

By way of explanation I should explain that we lived in Wallasey, a small bedroom community, across the River Mersey from the City of Liverpool. Upon getting down to the prom we could see across the mile wide river to where the ship was burning. This was no small fire, the entire ship appearing to be consumed by the flames. In fact it burned for several days.

The next day, my parents took me across the river on the ferry boat to join the crowds of people who were lining up to get on the Liverpool Overhead Railway because it went right by the Gladstone Dock. After waiting what seemed to me like hours (I was only 10 years old at the time), we eventually boarded the train, and in about 7 - 8 minutes we were right next to the burning ship. The train even slowed down and stopped for a minute or so.

The historic Liverpool Overhead Railway, or the 'Dockers Umbrella' as it was affectionately known, was eventually closed around 1956 and dismantled shortly thereafter.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris: Do you have any idea why the line was dismantled? Did the bus system improve substantially or was there no longer a need for the Overhead Railway becuase the shipping trade was on the wane?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scouser
Veteran RRF member

Post by scouser »

From what I remember, there was apparently a lot of long-needed renovation work needed. Work that had to do with the safety of the railway system and the work came to an amount in excess of £2,000,000.00. Funding couldn’t be found, either from local government or from private sources. It was decided that the structure was in a dangerous physical condition and was therefore a liability, so it was closed down and demolished. I believe that two of the original carriages still remain: One is in a Liverpool museum and the other one is God knows where?

As with other such decisions involving Liverpool's famous and historic landmarks (ie: The Cavern) the local politicians showed a remarkable lack of understanding of, and for, the very things (artifacts, if you will) that gave Liverpool its unique character.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris: Thanks for your comments. You can add the old Iron Door to this list as well I guess. It would seem to have been turned into a parking lot and not a very fancy one at that.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”