Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rictified

Nice EB-1

Post by rictified »

brammy

Post by brammy »

and "only" $7,250

“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

It's worth it those are really rare and that one is nice and all original. Jack Bruce played one of those all four nights for half the recent Cream reunion.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Little Richard's bass player played one of these in one of the 50's rock-n-roll movies.

I wonder if McCartney saw the film and went, hey......Hofner!
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

That thing is butt ugly and I bet it sounds like mud.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
rictified

Post by rictified »

They sound great and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ever listen to the band "Mountain" Nate? It is mostly EB-1.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Karl - I own that Little Richard bass. It belonged to Olsie Robinson, his bass player durin the golden Specialty Records years 1956-1958. He recorded all the greatest Little Richard songs and the memorable basslines for all those great tunes on this bass. I have a letter of provenance from him.

I also have a 1969 EB1 reissue, thanks to Felix Pappalardi, who reintroduced the bass in the late 60s. Yes Nate, both sound like mud. Actually the reissue is much better with shaller turners, rather that the Kluson banjo-style tuners. And the humbucker sounds better than the Alnico p/u from the 50s.

Like Bob, I am a Mountain lover! I can go on and on. Felix's bass was rigged and so were his Sunn amps, but his playing was magnificent!

I'm not sure what the guy selling the EB1 on ebay is trying to do. He is a stickler for condition and claims all kinds of problems on your bass when it is on ebay based on your photos. These basses sell in the $4000-4500 range. Sam Ash in NYC had on not long ago when I was there visiting.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Karl - I own that Little Richard bass. It belonged to Olsie Robinson, his bass player during the golden Specialty Records years 1956-1958. He recorded all the greatest Little Richard songs and the memorable basslines for all those great tunes on this bass. I have a letter of provenance from him.

I also have a 1969 EB1 reissue, thanks to Felix Pappalardi, who reintroduced the bass in the late 60s. Yes Nate, both sound like mud. Actually the reissue is much better with shaller turners, rather that the Kluson banjo-style tuners. And the humbucker sounds better than the Alnico p/u from the 50s.

Like Bob, I am a Mountain lover! I can go on and on. Felix's bass was rigged and so were his Sunn amps, but his playing was magnificent!
rictified

Post by rictified »

I didn't know you owned the Little Richard bass Mike, wow! I now have albums with two memebers basses on them. I thought you said that you wished that you owned it. That EB-1 is in nice shape on ebay though.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I didn't know you owned the Little Richard bass Mike, wow! I now have albums with two members basses on them. I thought you said that you wished that you owned it. That EB-1 is in nice shape on ebay though.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I got it about two months ago, Bob. Then tracked down Olsie and got a statement from him. It was displayed at a Memphis Gallery for years and came up for auction twice. Neither time did anyone get a grasp of what the bass was, it's historical importance, and I swooped it up!
rictified

Post by rictified »

Lucky man! how's it sound and play?
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

It plays beautifully! Has just enough wear to show its age. One really needs to explore the lows with this bass as it will give you dynamics you thought not possible, alla Felix. Sustain! Sounds like organ pedals behind it. This is where it stands out from anything else. Nice rosewood neck. Actually the reissue is much better for these effects, however the neck is not as wide.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I always liked "What a Bringdown" on Goodbye Cream, Felix played bass on that track. That was probably a 50's EB-1, what do you think?
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Yes, I believe that was before he had it stolen. Thats how the reissue came into play later.

Return to “The Low End”