Reviving Creedence Clearwater

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
rictified

Post by rictified »

Sheena they must have released a different first record in Russia than the one here. The first one here had Suzy Q, I put a Spell on you, etc, was actually very far from garage rock, was kind of bluesy, dark and brooding if anything.

Time has come Today.. What a great song.
wayang

Post by wayang »

There are things to realize...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

They don't listen anyway...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well Bob, i actually think it was the same, i was just thinkin' "Porterville", "Walkin' on the water", etc. BTW, what is 'garage' for you? I'd been friends with a garage musician, and his vision was the following: garage's more about the sound than the style; in any case, do you think Shadows 5 are NOT dark&bluesy?
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
apollo11
Intermediate Member

Post by apollo11 »

A couple major groups with many hits who never had a #1 hit on the Billboard charts are CCR and The Who.
Andrew
'05 4001C64, Fireglo
'03 4003, Jetglo
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

You know Andrew, I was sure CCR had a #1 but you're right. They had two or three which reached #2 on Billboard. And the best I can tell, The Who, only charted one song at #2 in the UK with My Generation. No where close to that in the US.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Stan you are correct about The Who never having a UK number one.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
wayang

Post by wayang »

Sheena, the sound and style may have changed over the years, but for me, 'garage' is guitar cords hanging on a 2x4 next to the lawn care implements and a drum kit over by the lawnmower...
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Cool thing about CCR, my niece's boyfriend (who is 19) is the drummer in a Creedence tribute band. They are all around the same age. Blew my mind when I heard that!!
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Bob, as my friend Andy used to say, "garage is a music played in a garage, and if you managed to get a real electric guitar or electric bass, lucky are you. If you didn't, take good care of your barrel". Mean, "garage music" can be different: from pure 'british invasion' style to something that makes you think of a lunatic asylum. Back to CCR, i've heard a version that the riff for CCR's version of '99 1/2' was actually stolen from ?&the Mysterians' "96 tears". So there might be a kind of 'connection', anyway...
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Garage to me is: Louis Louis, Kingsmen, Gloria (American version: Shadows of Night) Dirty Water (Standells, was about my hometown river Charles). All early to mid 60's american music that was recorded in one take with a couple of mic's. Trashy rock n roll. Credence got big way after it was over. I was playing garage rock before it was called garage rock and we weren't trying to imitate anything haha! Two silvertone twin twelves amps (about 20-30 watts) with two guitars, a bass and three microphones all plugged into these two little amps, sound deluxe, And we did rehearse in many garages, this was around 1967.
Check out "Nuggets", 'Original artyfacts from the first Psychedelic Era' 1965-1968 for some, there is even a song from Fogarty's first band on it (forgot the name). 96 Tears is great garage rock to me, the bass player went on to play in Grand Funk BTW. 99 1/2 was originally an old Wilson Pickett tune I believe.
wayang

Post by wayang »

I guess the seventies ushered in the era of Storage Unit Rock...
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Post by scottpro1969 »

One of the best Garage Rock bands of the past are The Remains...really bluesy rock. They opened for The Beatles on their last tour. If you haven't heard 'em, check 'em out. They had a hit back in '66 with Don't Look Back (no, not the Boston song).

There are a ton of "garage bands" out there today. One that immediately comes to mind is Muck and the Mires out of Boston....lead singer plays a Rick 350 (I think)...very '60's garage rock. Great band!!!!
rictified

Post by rictified »

Scott, I occasionally play with Billy Briggs who is the original keyboard player of the Remains, they got back together again a few years back and are doing gigs, especially in Europe. He also was the back up keyboard player for the Kingsmen, he's a cool guy. I never really considered Barry and the Remains to be a garage band, they were too good.
harley

Post by harley »

Dane, if you're doing a medley of Fortunate One and Time, the other song that I immediately thought of was We Gotta Get Out Of This Place. I've never thought of stringing them together before, but it sounds like a good fit.

As for "garage" I always thought of it as "basic" music played loud and fast with minimal chord changes. One of the bands I've been listening to lately is the Forty-Fives - for me, they're garage rock. There's also a picture of a Rickenbacker 330 or 360 included in the collage of photos on the cover of their first album.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”