Maple neck dilemma (L2K vs. P-Bass)

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Maple neck dilemma (L2K vs. P-Bass)

Post by loendmaestro »

The next 2 basses on my radar for a temporary fix for my G.A.S. are a G&L L-2000 & a Fender P-Bass (late 70's - early 90's, I don't really care).
Here's the thing: I'm REALLY jonesin' for a maple neck. Haven't played one in many, many years & everything I own is ebony or rosewood (3 Ricks, T-bird, Jazz Bass).

I was originally going to get the L2K with the maple neck, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. I'm a pick player (about 90% of the time) & play fairly aggressively. My concern is that with those G&L MFD p/u's being rather hot a maple board on that may be a bit "much" if you know what I mean.

So I'm leaning towards getting the P-Bass with the maple neck, as the passive/classic P-Bass tones on a maple board my compliment my playing style a bit better.

Thoughts?
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Your right, the MFD's are hot but you can control them pretty good with tone controls. I had a maple neck ASAT bass and it was pretty versitile. I could make it sound like any Fender style bass. With the maple neck you mite want to play with the pre amp off. Just ramblin'....

Cole

Return to “The Low End”