Covering The Best

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Covering The Best

Post by admin »

Sometimes, an original is released that spurs another artist to cover it and take the song to a new level and even greater popularity.

I really enjoyed the remake of the 1966 Supremes' classic "You Keep Me Hanging On" which reached number 1 in the US and 8th position in the UK.

I am, of course, referring to the version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" released by Vanilla Fudge in 1967. Quite a change in the arrangement and style as the psychedelic era was on the horizon. Charting 18th in the UK in 1967 and 6th in the US in 1968, ths classic would not do as well the second time around. But considering it was released only a year later a very good showing.

Whether an improvement on the original or not, let's hear your favourite covers of 1960s material.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

You keep me hanging on by Vanilla Fudge was brilliant, brings back a lot of memories from that year for me. The original band have reformed and are now touring. One eample of the point Peter is making is Do You Want To Know A Secret originally on The Beatles first album but the version done by Billy J Kramer with The Dakotas was far better in my view. Needles and Pins by The Searchers and When You Walk In The Room another example of the cover being better than the original though naturally there will be opposing views.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Hanging On" brings back some memories for me too. It was the very first song that I ever played before an audience (back when I was a keyboard player).

My favorite would be The Beach Boys' cover of "California Dreamin"

Recently, I heard several country/bluegrass covers of 1960s rock. A good example is Pam Tillis' cover of "When You Walk In The Room." A not so good example is the Cox Family Experience's bluegrass cover of "Crossroads."
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

The Stones cover of I Wanna Be Your Man. A Lennon-McCartney tune perfect for the Stones. A hit in the UK wasn't it?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It charted #12 Stan. I agree that it was the perfect song for them and better than Ringo's version in some ways.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes their second single made number 12 in NOV 63
harley

Post by harley »

I've always liked the Stray Cats version of "You Can't Hurry Love" better than the Supremes version and Sheryl Crows version of "The First Cut Is The Deepest" better than the versions by Cat Stevens or Rod Stewart. And, as much as I love Badfinger, Harry Nillson's version of "Without You" just blows theirs right out of the water.

To "Beatlize" this post, I like the looser version of "Stand By Me" done by John Lennon over the original by Ben E. King. It IS a close call, though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Harley: All great examples of terrific covers.

"Without You" is an outstanding composition and one of my favourite songs.

You are so right about "Stand By Me." Sometimes I give the nod to Ben and other times to John. I love the simplicity of Lennon's version, especially the rhythm guitar. What a voice! So sad that he did not like his own voice.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

How about Stand By Me by The Searchers from their debut album, first time I had heard the song and yes you guessed my favourite version, that bass intro just hooks you in.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

What about "Heard it Through the Grapevine?" I think it was originally cut, then redone by Marvin Gaye, then by CCR, then who else? I still think the CCR version is best. But if I remember from a radio station DJ once, Marvin redid it within a year of its original release and it went a lot higher than the original.
"Here he is, come to pay homage to the Rickenbacker display!" (Said to me by owner Bruce at the "Great House of Guitars" in Rochester, NY)
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Good to have someone so young Ben making comments and clearly aware of 60's music
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

As good as CCR were in their own right, I always thought their cover versions were outstanding. I put a spell on you (orig. Screamin' Jay Hawkins) from one of the first two LPs, and also from Cosmo's Factory in addition to "Grapevine: Before you accuse me (Bo Diddely). But then: "Spell" and "Accuse" may not be 60's tunes?
Searchers amongst my teenage favourite music. Still fond of them, but earnestly a little puzzled they are considered THIS big! But I'm very excited about this forum, and will love to read it regularly, and also contribute!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

..."Cry baby cry" done by Samiam, "Poupee de cire" done by Wizo, "Can't get enough of you baby" done by Smash Mouth, etc. Lots of covers done in recent years. Going back into the 60s?..
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Never liked 'Don't Be Cruel' until Cheap Trick's version. Then it rocked!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Einar: Without a doubt, CCR's version of "I Put A Spell On You" certainly put a spell on me. Grapevine is also a great number. CCR should have been far more successful on the charts than they were.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”