XM Satellite Radio

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

dean712
Intermediate Member

XM Satellite Radio

Post by dean712 »

My wife and daughters got me an XM Satellite Radio for Father's Day. It's one of the Delphi models with all of the connection options included.

I LOVE it!! Perhaps it's a function of how bad our local radio has become in recent years, but.... hundreds of commercial-free music stations, comedy, news, and talk (including Air America, my new favorite for talk, and not available here via local radio), and all MLB games (so I can catch the White Sox when I'm at work or on the road).

It's opened my listening up to stuff I otherwise wouldn't hear, like classic Country, jazz, and World/Euro hits they don't play here in the cornfields, plus there's all kinds of the rock I like.

Just wanted to post... I really like this product, and it has changed my music listening more than anything in the past few years.
oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

I wish my car had an XM radio!

Maybe in the future it will, hehe.

Glad you like it, I hadn't really heard any postive or negative comments untill now.
I'll have to check it out!
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

I have to agree with your impressions Dean. My local stations are trash as well. My wife bought me a Sirius receiver for Christmas and I couldn't be more pleased with the service....satellite is certainly the way to go (XM or Sirius).

I've grown to like the Bluegrass station (shockingly) and listen to the uncensored comedy station quite often. The uber-heavy metal, hard rock and "hair metal" stations get most use and my wife is thrilled with the '80's hits station and NPR. (I have since bought her her own receiver)Image.

I certainly recommend satellite radio to anyone considering it. It has broadened my horizons somewhat but just listening to stations that don't follow the standard "corporate" format is refreshing enough. Plus I am not a fan of the current censorship movement in standard radio. I'll decide what is appropriate.....I don't need someone else making those decisions for me.
desertgoldenboy

Post by desertgoldenboy »

My wife's Accord came equipped with XM Radio and needless to say, I drive it as much as possible (while she takes my truck to work)! Now I'm planning to get XM for my Harley! I hate paying for radio broadcasts, but it's worth it not to hear those damned commercials!
"If things were different...things would be different."
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I'm a Sirius man due to the fact Howard Stern will be there in January. Love it!
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

Yeah Marc, that is what made my decision for me on which satellite provider to go with as well. Image
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Brian, that's a good point on the censorship issue. I agree with you there.

I agree with Kenn, too, that I'd rather not pay for radio broadcasts, but this is SO much better than the garbage alternative....

Oh, and another advantage of Sirius for you guys would be the NFL games, if you are a football fan. XM has baseball, though, plus some college sports like Big Ten football/basketball.

It's a great option, and I'm glad I've got it now!
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Oh, and Brian, I like the Bluegrass station on XM, too. Some of those guys are great musicians.
clankchris

Post by clankchris »

I need XM for my company truck!
How do I con, uh I mean, convince my boss I need it on the days that I commute 1&1/2 hours to our sister dealership on the coast?
Any ideas?Image
marc61

Post by marc61 »

The good thing about the satellite is that none of the equipment is very expensive, so you could have a personal unit to bring in the truck with you.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
desertgoldenboy

Post by desertgoldenboy »

Chris, you could try and sell your boss on the fact that XM Radio has Traffic & Weather channels for all of the country's major metropolitan areas, constantly informing you of traffic conditions and the quickest alternate routes to your destination. That way, you could get to work faster!
Of course, all the while, you'll be listening to your favorite music channels!
"If things were different...things would be different."
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

America right used to be killer in the afternoons with Michael Savage and Michael Medved. Savage didn't want to be on XM anylonger so sigh...still have Medved though.

Cole
clankchris

Post by clankchris »

Haha, that's great advice Kenn, although I might chicken out and get my own portable unit, or......
drive next to someone who has it!
I'm sure they won't mind....(yelling to other car)"Hey, what's that tuned to?!"
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Just recently discovered the Reggae channel (XM 101 - The Joint) - ya man! That is some good music! I love my XM.
ben_hall
RIC

Post by ben_hall »

I got XM radio a while back and to tell you the truth, I still prefer KROQ in Southern California (even though they play the same stuff a zillion times a day).

Kevin and Bean entertain me.

Return to “Trivia”