The Hyphen Thing

History and music of Liverpool
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's too funny
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I'd rather say nothing can be "too" although it's arguable... ugh... see what i'm doing instead of working... 8-)
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Do I get the last laugh ????
Hummmmmmmmmm,Gotta think about that one... OK, I'm done.....
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

It's fine by me John since you started this, but it would seem that this thread has a life of its own since it keeps getting resurrected.

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

BTW Brian... speakin' of Gorbushka... it has changed in last couple of years, so now, if i get there and ask for Spinal Tap's "Behind the iron curtain", the answers of the vendors could be:
Rolling on the floor laughing - 35 %;
"No we don't have it. Try to ask Semion" - 15 %;
"Let me see... i think i had it somewhere..." - 15 %;
"Oh, we had it, but only half an hour ago a guy came and took the last copy" - 15 %;
"We're not selling heavy metal here" - 15 %;
"No i don't have it now, but (whispering) i have a copy of it at home so if you really want it i can make a copy for you if you pay in advance" - 5 %.
Or something like this. Actually, i'd bet it would be something like this dialogue between you and me.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Sorry, "try to ask Semion"... just realized what this name spelt this way means in English... awfully sorry...
(Peter might i ask you to correct this one? I'm truly ashamed).
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Don't worry about it Sheena. I realised as soon as I read your post that it was a persons name that you were referring to. I am sure that others reading the post would understand that as well.

That's a great observation BTW of the current state of the market. Obviously, I have never been there but I am well aware of it's reputation. Thanks again for sharing a little of life in Russia. I find your candid insight very interesting.

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Duh... okay. Anyway, it doesn't sound as odious as the Russian abbreviation for "philological faculty"... 8-)
Judging by your posts Brian i thought you have been there actually. Anyway, if you haven't, you always have a chance if you will. 8-) Albeit now it's a bit of a silly thing and it becomes "sillier and sillier" every month. Now you wouldn't find a Searchers' disk in heavy metal section... 8-)
Back to the "hyphen thing"... how do you like Semyonov-Tyan'-Shanski?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I am somewhat familiar with the market. Partly because I have one acquaintance in the oil business who lives part time in Moscow. But unfortunately I have never been there. Who knows perhaps one day I will. I would never look for Searchers records in the heavy metal section of any market or store BTW.

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, that's exactly where i have found both "Meet the Searchers/Sugar&Spice" and "It's the Searchers/Sounds like Searchers" on CD about three years ago, and back then, i didn't manage to find it in any other section. The Ramones were also to be found in heavy metal section, while the Pistols were in punk section indeed. Now, i'm afraid, you'd find any of the three bands mentioned only if you're very lucky. Russia is fighting pirates, that's about it, and i don't know how long Gorbushka will exist as bootleg market...
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

I guess since I started this mess and have been waiting for more feedback, which has not come, I can officially declare this thread as "dead" (alright Peter ?)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: Perhaps you could explain what additional information you would like to receive and we could rekindle this topic accordingly.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Hear, hear...
(i'm still having troubles trying to figure out what this whole thread was about...)
Speaking of hyphens, here (Russia - Europe... well, at least partly) the hyphenated family names are explained by either a) a woman wants to keep both her maiden name & her husband's name, and their kids also have hyphenated family names (not always); b) a newborn kid "inherits" a hyphenated family name from his/her parents if they both decided to keep the names they were born with in marriage (sometimes; in other cases, the kid may get his/her mother's or father's name). The third possibility (Semyonov-Tyan-Shansky, etc) - when the first family name is the real name (i. e. the one a person was born with), and the second (third...) is a pseudonym.
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

OOPS, this kinda reminds me of the movie "Guns of Navarone" towards the end when Gregory Peck, in a very annoyed fashion, admonishes David Niven with a "YOUR IN IT UP TO YOUR EARS NOW"............I therefore resign myself to what may appear in this thread..........

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”