Paint for a 325v59?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Gary_Cost

Paint for a 325v59?

Post by Gary_Cost »

Mark;

I am 'reshaping' the headstock of my 325v59 to 'Lennon specs' (jetglo) and I was wondering if you had any advice on how best to refinish this. What mixture of paint, clearcoat or what products would you recommend? Thanks
Mark

Post by Mark »

this is a really loaded question

Do you have spray equipment?
Do you have a compressor?
Do you own a spray mask?not the silly dust mask found at a hardware store with sheetrock tools.

If you have some kind of idea what it takes to do this then you don't have to ask this question ...so

There is NO rattle can that will match the paint on the guitar.
If you ever see 2 brands of black cars parked side by side in a parking lot and they are brand new ,you will notice that the blacks do not match!

Black is really many colors mixed together to make a black.There is Yellow in black!
Gibson has a green cast to theirs and Fender is a blueish (not unlike Supermans hair)
So to do it you can try the Gibson touch up paint ,you can buy this at Stewart/Macdonald-luthier supply or from Gibson.You can try using black lacquer from a can ....but it's not the same.You could even try nailpolish.But it will look like your sister did it.

Let a pro do this ,not someone who has a bench in a music store and a pile of Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams.
Gary_Cost

Post by Gary_Cost »

Thanks for the info. I have all of above mentioned items. The reason I asked was I heard that Rickenbackers had a special coating process. I have refinished furnature pieces before but, hey this is my baby we're talking about! To be honest there is no one locally that I would trust with my Ric.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The material on the guitar is conversion varnish.

don't buy it unless you own aspray gun that is stainless steel.It is an acid based product .
Most other paints are alkylid.

The opposite ends on the PH scale ,they do not like each other.

The touch up issue is complex because of this.Nitro lacquers solvent are not compatable with it.
I use a catalized Lacquer and that works as long as I have a vinyl sealer coat under it.

I have to buy this stuff by the gallon as that is the only way it comes (or 5gallons or 55 gallons ) but it can be done .The black is just a pigment that can be had a a really good paint supplier.Some one that deals in industrial finishing products.Don't bother with a hardware store an/or some place like HOME DEPOT ,they won't have it.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”