Ric cases & handles

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Tony: I just took a quick look at my original silver cases (1964-1966). The handles are soft black leather with white stitching, and much thinner than the handle on the recent silver reissue case I have. All of the black tolex cases have solid plastic handles that look like your black case. The reissue silver cases are very nice, but they're not completely accurate. Frankly, they are nicer with more padding inside and on the handle, but the ends don't appear to be real leather. I don't know if you're aware, but the original silver and black tolex cases came in either standard or deluxe style. The standard cases usually shipped with standard guitars (i.e. 450's, 325's, 330's). The deluxe cases included a storage compartment and were shipped with deluxe guitars (i.e. 620's and 360's). Hope this clears things up for you. Cheers!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Paul,

You just potentially gave me the solution. We have a top notch shoe maker/repair guy here that also fixes luggage. I bet that he can help.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
brammy

Post by brammy »

I've got a black one, a silver one (with Ric nameplate) and a black plastic one (that also has Ric nameplate).

The plastic one came with the 360 Tuxedo (at least I assume it did as I bought it 2nd hand).

The plastic case is by far the best. Its lighter and far more rugged. The only downside is that the inside doesn't have a parts section with a lid.... there is only a recessed area.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Kent,

Have you read Ed Romans rant about plastic cases vs tolex?

Too funny. It's good to see someone has a good opinion of them. Anything ER says I take with a grain of salt.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
weelittlescot

Post by weelittlescot »

Have any of you guys had this problem???

My 330 ('96) came with a black case, but one of the little "legs" or crome thing-a-gig's busted out?

Not only did the crome peice come out, but area where it "pops" in has broke as well.

I could fix this(fibre-glass) via the inside, If I could figure out how to take one of these things apart?

my question is....

has anybody here, taken the padding out of a black late model case yet? If they have , how did they do it???

Cheers
RJ
If you got it? Play it!

I own 620/6, 330/6, 360/12, 4001
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That stuff's all glued in place, sort of permanently. But Brian's got this great luggage maker near where he lives who...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
weelittlescot

Post by weelittlescot »

Hello Paul

Aw yes good one!

I had a little poke at the case and It's glued in REALLY GOOD!

Would be nice If I could get it apart and just repair it, I've worked with a lot of Fibre-glass on Vettes and other Classic Cars, Trust me, It would be an easy fix, If a person did it from the inside.

It would even look good, as well!

Cheers
RJ
If you got it? Play it!

brammy

Post by brammy »

>>>Have you read Ed Romans rant about plastic cases vs tolex?

No... I looked on the Ed Roman site but couldn't find it. Old Ed has a bug in his bonnet about plastic cases?

All I know is that it's light, does a great job of protecting the Ric 360 and is practically indestructable.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Paul

BC and Saskatchewan are two Provinces apart but if the shoe maker works out and RJ cannot find a competent trades person adjacent to his local grain elevator then perhaps it would be worth a trip to Vernon.

We love tourists. By all means come and visit RJ and don't forget to inject a bunch of your disposable income into our hungry economy.

LOL

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

RJ, don't use fiberglas, except to patch the broken area! Still, you will find that the thermoplastic case material does not bond well to fiberglas. But if I told you what I use for this, you'd freak out. (Baking soda and Satellite City super glue--from the inside, as you suggest.) This is after the lining has been stripped careully from the area to be repaired.

To glue the lining back in, use a good brand of contact cement, water-based, like the casemaker did when he built it. Try not to use a standard, toluene-based cement, as it stands a good chance of messing with the Rick's finish, unless you let the case de-gas for about a week before storing the guitar in it.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
weelittlescot

Post by weelittlescot »

Thanks Paul

I'll give it a try!

Brian, Can't bring any cash, spending it all on Rickenbackers!!!

<<<if>>>

Heck Brian I'd try that, but they tore down all the Grain Elevators and now Ship all the grain strait out to BC (gotta keep the Dock hands working eh???)

LOL!

Cheers
RJ
If you got it? Play it!

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hey RJ thats sounds like the beginning of a good working class rock song. Or perhaps country?

They tore down all our grain elevators
and ship our grain straight to BC

18 more lines and you've got a home grown hit. No pun intended.

LOL

weelittlescot

Post by weelittlescot »

Hey Brian no pun taken

I think you might be right???

Could write a whole tune about this, Say has anybody else on the site ever actually been inside a Grain elevator or been inside a grain "bin" with a shovel in there hands?

BLAH! trust me it isn't a lot of fun.

Dirty Work.

Cheers
RJ
If you got it? Play it!

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hey RJ

If its a hit I get partial credit. Do me a favour though write it on a Ric.

LOL

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”