Ric cases & handles

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Ric cases & handles

Post by tony_carey »

I understand that the new SKB type cases were introduced in 1995. When did the black tolex supercede the silver? Also, the pic below is of a re-issue silver tolex & a case that I bought pertaining to be a '70's Ric case. The handle is the same style as my early '90's black tolex & in fact, the SKB style, but is different to the re-issue.

So, is the re-issue handle the same as the vintage silver cases (did they change the handle when they went to black?) & also, there is no nameplate on my black case in the pic....is this NOT a Ric case (looks identical in every other respect)...if it is, then when did & didn't Ric have the nameplate on the cases. Have they always been there, or did it happen at some point in time?

'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Tony great question. I am stumped. I have three black cases that came with my Rics and none of them have a name plate on them. I wonder too if my cases are Ric originals.

Good topic. Lets see what those who know can tell us.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Anthony: I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I know. All of my early Ricks (1964-1966) had silver tolex cases, and none of them had Rick nameplates. All of my Ricks from the years 1979-1993 had black tolex cases, and none of them had Rick nameplates. My only SKB case came with a 1999 Rick. The only case I have with a nameplate is a reissue silver case that I bought recently on Ebay. The black ends and handle are very different from my original silver cases, but it looks okay to me. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows exactly when the black tolex changed to the SKB case. I definitely like the black cases better, so it makes a difference when I see a guitar for sale.
brian

Post by brian »

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

So Kenny reckons that '68 was the transition to black...thanks Brian.

Brian & Randy, the black case that is with my '91 360V64-12 has a Ric logo on it! I bought the gtr used, but have no reason to suspect that the case isn't original.

I think that it was Bob (Belloff) that told me that the SKB was introduced in '95. I like the tolex cases, because you don't have to take the arm off of your Accent! Image
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I thought I should point out that there are many minor differences in latches and hardware on both my silver and black tolex cases, but none came with nameplates. I have no doubt that all of mine are originals, so don't jump to the conclusion that you have non-original cases. My '80 620/12 came with a black case that has totally different latches, but it looks absolutely original to me. I'm sure Rickenbacker has dealt with different vendors over the years, and each vendor deals with suppliers and minor parts changes too. Not a big deal.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

One of my supposedly original cases has a dark indigo blue almost black interior. That is suspect as an original in my mind. The other two are blue.

I read on the other forum posting (thank you Brian) that one guy has an original case with a red interior. That would be suspect I would assume also?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Just to clarify all of my cases are tolex.

By the way does anyone know where I can get a replacement handle for my 1976 4001 bass case?

rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

My April 1965 Export model 1998 has it's original case....silver tolex...WITH a pressed metal Rickenbacker nameplate. The letters are raised like the '59 & '60 truss rod covers. I have no reason to doubt that the case is not the original for the guitar.
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Brian: Some of the blue-lined cases I have are much darker than others. I used to have an oddball silver case with a red-orange liner. I think there are lots of minor variations in original cases. The most important thing is that the guitar fits properly. It's hard to find cases that will fit large bodied thinline guitars like 330's and 360's. Gibson and Gretsch don't use rectangular cases and Fender doesn't build many thicker-bodied guitars, so that severely limits the sources for non-original rectangular cases. Tony's black tolex case looks exactly like every case I have from 1979 thru 1993, so I'm sure it's original.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Randy that clears that concern up, for me.

Now if I just knew where to find an original or original looking replacement handle I would be over the moon.

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

What about the handles though. Are the original silver case handles like the re-issue cases, or like the handles on the black cases (as in the above pic)?

BTW, thanks Randy, I did wonder if my black case (pictured) was original or not!
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

The handles on the 60's silver cases and the new silver re-issue cases are pretty much the same.

I once owned a MINT 1967 330 that came with a black case but had gator ends and red interior like an early 60's RIC case.

IMO 1967 was the transitional year for black cases.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The case for my 381 is sooo huge and heavy, people tend to think it's a keyboard.

But nobody oohs and aahs when you open a keyboard case.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Brian, I suggest garage sales, Salvation Army stores, luggage stores, etc. either for the handles themselves or for old cheap suitcases or briefcases that have the same handles.

Handles are to a large extent OEM items and are seen on a variety of items, not just guitar cases. This goes for hinges and latches, too.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”