Chris Hillman in Byrds video w/ Mystery Pbass??

Those who flock to The Byrds
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Paul;
From the haircuts and Croz' hat, I'd say this was the Byrds between 5D and Younger Than Yesterday....
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Benjamin: Try the mpeg newsgroups, or maybe Kazaa, etc.

Paul: Gene Clark was not in The Byrds in March 1967.

John: How do you extract jpegs from mpeg video?

Don: March 1967 video would be right after the February release of YTY.
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

Hi Terry,

I just paused the video and did a partial screen capture ("Get a Rectangular Area") with PrintKey. It always only works after the second try, but it does work.

Link to Freeware PrintKey
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Many thanks for the info, John. Some of the Rickenbacker shots in that Byrds video look like they have good screen capture possibilities.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Re: Chris Hillman in Byrds video w/ Mystery Pbass??

Post by iamthebassman »

Yes, yes, ancient thread.
I've always been intrigued by this mystery bass.
So last year I made my own, lefty of course.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

I believe I read in Johnny Rogans book A Timeless Flight Revisited that on the Byrds 2nd trip overseas that alot of the instruments were rented. This may explain why Chris Hillman cant recall ever owning this Pbass. Gary
markabel

Post by markabel »

I noted in the forum that someone found a photo of Chris Hillman with a Hofner bass. I can confirm. I was quite the Byrds fanatic and saw them play in the Bay Area four times from October 1966 to December 1967 -- the first time at the San Leandro Rollerina and the other three times at the Fillmore. Chris indeed wielded a Hofner at the second of these gigs -- two long sets on a Sunday afternoon, April 2, 1967. I still remember him playing that very brief but amazing bass break in the middle of "Renaissance Fair" at a deafening volume -- a long ways from the clean sound you hear on "Younger Than Yesterday." ... Not sure what this has to do with the Rickenbacker company, but there you are.

Speaking of Rickenbacker, the last of the four gigs I mentioned (a bill the Byrds shared with the Electric Flag and B.B. King) was remarkable on at least two counts: They appeared as a trio (McGuinn, Hillman, Clarke) and McGuinn did NOT play a Rick 12-string, but rather a 6-string Gretsch hollow-body -- probably a Country Gentleman. This was one of the very last appearances of what was left of the original Byrds. They were clearly dispirited and sounded pretty awful -- pulling it together only for the recently recorded "Change Is Now."

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”