The Last Time For Brian Jones

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

For me, the "London years" were the best for the Stones. The early material was unique both instrumentally and vocally. I haven't heard their latest, but as they "progressed" I was less taken with their material, and their appearance of course.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

In my post above I did mean to say Bleed/Exile/Sticky for the record.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Bleed/Sticky/Exile is total classic but I don't consider that period the real 'The Rolling Stones' anymore outside of the name.

To me it's like if Lennon would have died in 1970 and Paul, George and Ringo carried on with someone else doing all of Pauls 70's solo stuff and still calling themselves 'The Beatles'. It wouldn't really have been 'The Beatles'.

I feel the same way with post NBB Byrds and post Pet Sounds Beach Boys.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Don't know, were the Beatles any less the Beatles without Pete or Stu, two originals, or are we only considering the time when they made their first hit record and then the band members make a difference?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

John provided raw edge and power, Paul balance and harmony, George provided colour and tapestry and Ringo backbone and push. As a foursome they were awesome. Anything less would be a travesty. IMHO
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I feel in that trio of recording the Stones established the sound upon which modern rock is based. Before they did pop, and a variation of R&B that a lot of bands were into With this trio, IMO, they pretty much invented a sound. Many late period Beatle recordings featured less than the full band, so, as I agree they were magic as a unit, they did manage good stuff in fractions.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

"There's a basic rule which runs through all kinds of music, kind of an unwritten rule. I don't know what it is. But I've got it." -Ron Wood / Rolling Stones / Faces

OK let's hear it for Ron.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rictified

Post by rictified »

I like almost all the Stones until the late 70's early 80's and even some since. I do also think the Mick Taylor period was their pinnicle as musicians and sound and coherance of their LP's but I still like the Jones period as good if not better even though it's more uneven.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

I like your take on it, Bob. I did like the Jones' era as well but 'uneven' is a good description of those times and their sound. Some classic hits and all but something seemed to be missing.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

With Lennon tired of The Beatles, Clapton finished with Cream and Jones feeling 'the boot', I have read where the three of them during the Rock and Roll Circus filming talked of forming a group together playing country roots R&B in the style of CCR!
brammy

Post by brammy »

Yipes!.... Lennon/Clapton/Jones??? I wonder what the name of that band would have been.

Pretty amazing talent to start a band with, eh?
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
rictified

Post by rictified »

Who's Jones? Tom?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Davey.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Oooh, oooh, I know! Brian Jones!
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Hard to imagine though what might have come out of that. Lennon/Clapton/Jones sounds great on paper but I think there might have been a lot of great nights logged for them but maybe not too much music? Who knows. Pretty sure we'll never find out.

On a slightly different note, I heard on a radio station recently, that at one point Clapton was trying to sign up with The Band but that, for whatever reasons, it never came about. Anybody have a more authoritative take on this?

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”