Post by RJHC »

_EVEN THOUGH CHRIS , TONY , MIKE , AND JOHN

CONSTITUTE THE ORIGINAL SEARCHERS , I REGARD

FRANK AS SEMI-ORIGINAL BECAUSE HE CAME IN WHEN

THE THEY WERE STILL HAVING HITS .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Based on his relatively early introduction to The Searchers in August 1964 I have come to regard Frank Allen as an original member. I realize that I may be stretching the originality issue slightly. Next to John McNally, however, he is the longest serving member of The Searchers and you cannot deny his outstanding commitment and talent that has spanned 36 years.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

I first saw Frank with the Searchers at the Brooklyn Fox, Labor Day, 1964 at a "Murray the K" Rock n' Roll show. Since they only hit the States that Spring, and I had only seen Tony Jackson on the Sullivan show, with 2 songs he didn't sing lead on, I've always thought of Frank as a near original. That was when they had those matching blue and white guitars that looked like they had buffalo horns on them. He's been with the band everytime I've seen them since then, so to put it in mob terms, he's "made".
You play the hand they deal you
tim

Post by tim »

Frank Allen debuted on "When You Walk In The Room" on which he sang lead vocal alongside Mike Pender (although Mike Pender is more prominent in the mix). He has acted as 'frontman' at live shows ever since the late 60s and is a 'master' at working an audience.

'Original' is an emotive word. There were other members of The Searchers before they became famous - Norman McGarry (replaced by Chris Curtis) and 'Big Ron' - would anybody classify them as 'original members'? (And what about Johnny Sandon?).
mdenger
Veteran RRF member

Post by mdenger »

I think the groups ows very much to Frank - without him - I think - the group wouldn't exist anymore. John might be the boss - but for hte way the Searchers have to earn their money - Frank is perfect.

Michael
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Does it matter if Frank was a original or not. The fact is he has been with the Searchers for nearly 37 years, only John has been in the band longer.

Would Brian Bennett be classed as a non original of The Shadows, his name is as synonymous with them as Frank Allen's is with the Searchers.
The vast majority of Searchers audiences could not care less, only "Die Hards" and sad people(I include myself some what) want to debate this issue.

The Searchers name overall was and still is more important than individual band members, although clearly to have credence some of the personnel must in my view have a connection to the glory days. Spencer James has been in the band 15 years, a fact often overlooked.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Well put, Roy. I entirely agree with you. The music comes first.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
anon

Post by anon »

If there was a battle of the basses, which Searcher, Tony or Frank would be considered the better bass player? My vote is for Frank!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon: I am with you but I suppose who you like depends on the style of music that you prefer. Frank has hand a kind of slap bass style which I gather has been difficult to record for some sound engineers. I really enjoy Frank's style and enjoy his bass runs and fills. Tony, to my ears, had a more "booming in your face" bass style that was less subtle than Frank's style and for some rockers provided for an electrifying and very exciting performance. Sadly, Tony did not stay around too long and so for me it is difficult to make a fair comparison.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mps_fan_club

Post by mps_fan_club »

I WONDER HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN AND HEARD BARRY(BAZ)COWELL OF MIKE PENDERS SEARCHERS. MIKE PICKED A VERY TALENTED BASS PLAYER WHO HAS BEEN WITH THE BAND FROM THE START. WITHOUT DOUBT HE HAS MANAGED TO RECREATE SOME OF THOSE FINE BASS LINES ON THE EARLY HITS THAT WERE SUCH A TRADE MARK OF TONY JACKSON. BUT - - ALSO CREATING A STYLE OF SLAP BASS OF HIS VERY OWN.
IN THE MID 80'SHE WAS BASS PLAYER WITH VIRGIN DANCE AND ALSO TOURED WITH THE EURYTHMICS
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_FRANK'S STYLE IS VERY GOOD BUT TONY JACKSON'S

SUBTILE SIMPLICITY IS SECOND ONLY TO SIR PAUL

McCARTNEY .
EC

Post by EC »

Absolutely - Paul McCartney is one of the best musicians and most tasteful bass players ever!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Always intriqued why people want to be anonymous, unless it is Tony Jackson, of course.

Comparisions are essentially futile, the early Searchers albums had a rawness about them, probably because they were using guitars that they were using on their live gigs. By the time Frank came on board, the band had become more affluent and sponship deals no doubt had come their way, firstly Burns, later Aria.

Listen to the first album Frank played on "Sounds Like Searchers" and the sound is totally different to the sound that brought The Searchers to prominence.

I believe the Sire albums demonstrated that Frank was a very capable bass player, but the sound has always revolved round those "Jangly Riffs" for what of a better phrase.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Good point about the change of guitars through sponsorship. Don't forget to mention the current ESP sponsorship which certainly gives them a different sound compared to their early days. I agree, it is the rhythm and lead guitars that have held centre stage for the most part. Tony Jackson did have a unique style and quite a booming bass though.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”