Newbie questions - 12 string related

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

steve_hershberger

Newbie questions - 12 string related

Post by steve_hershberger »

I've been trying to research string sets for my "new to me" 360/12v64 and am wondering where you guys buy them from? No stores around here stock Ric strings, so I'll need to order online - and it seems like prices are about the same whether ordering direct from Rickenbacker or from the (very few) other sites I've seen. Any other links would be appreciated (I already know about POTR).

Also, it seems that they're aren't ANY other string brands that have sets of the appropriate guages. Or at least I haven't found any yet. I was kind of hoping to find appropriate D'Addario's but I've come up empty so far. Any experiences with other brands short of buying multiple sets and mixing/matching to get the right guages?

Yeah, I know about Pyramids, and will probably try them out but I'm concerned about the difference between their .046 and the Ric .042 E strings - does the nut slot require enlarging to allow the Pyramid to fit properly?

I don't even know what brand of strings are on my guitar - the salesman told me "I think they're Thomastiks" but he wasn't sure. I looked them up and never found a 12 string set, so who knows if these might be a "combined mix" of strings...

In any event, these are definitely some type of "compressed round" or "ground round" strings and they have red threads around the ball ends. They're definitely not "flat wounds" and are smoother than regular "round wounds" - and the lowest E string looks to be a .046.

Any help in identifying what these strings are would be most appreciated. I like the feel of them, but would prefer the normal .042 size.

Regarding string tension - would an .046 exert more tension on the neck than a .042? Just asking because, if it does, that might be why the neck is slightly twisted.

I've got a couple TRC questions too, but this is already too long (sorry for that). I just want to get the string situation sorted out first.
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

Steve,
I've had good luck with either mail ordering the stock Ric strings, or using the Ernie Ball sets that most stores have. The guages aren't the same but I have never found it to be a problem or a need to make a truss rod adjustment with them when going between those and the Ric strings.

I loved the sound of Pyramids but they were way to stiff feeling for me. Also, I think it was the D string pairing that had such a difference in size from the normal string to the octave string that I could never easily press the octave string down to get it to fret cleanly because the normal string was so tall.

You may also want to do a search on the 'Bay for Dr Duck strings. They usually have an auction for a package of 6 sets of twelve-string sets that start at $29. The guages are close but not exact. I've been tempted to go for some of these myself and was going to ask if he would make a custom auction that contained three sets for a 12-string and three sets for a 6-string just in case I didn't like them.
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thomastiks typically have red silk wrapped around both ends when new.

I've used five different kinds of strings on my Ricks and keep returning to the Rick strings, although I like flatwounds on my Gretsch hollows.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
saab95

Post by saab95 »

Steve, I'm looking for a 360\12v64 too. I posted it on the "wanted" topic. Do you know where can I find one?
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

Thanks for all the string info. This first time around I'm just going to order some Rick strings and find out exactly how this guitar sounds/plays "as it should" - you know, factory specs.

Ariel - Good luck finding a 360/12v64! It took me years of looking (albeit, sporadically) to find mine. They do pop up on eBay once in a while but I didn't want to go that route unless I absolutely had to - plus, I'd rather buy from a store. I'll also admit to passing on a few Jetglos but only because, to me, a 12v64 has GOT to be Fireglo.

Anyway, I did a search of all the Ricks on gbase.com and when I found this one I jumped on it immediately.
saab95

Post by saab95 »

Steve- thanks for the tip, good to know about gbase.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”