360/12 C63 - My chances of getting one

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

360/12 C63 - My chances of getting one

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi,
Next month I will be flying to the US for a vacation.
I would really like to bring back with me a 360/12 C63.

From reading a little I saw that people are waiting on a very, very long waiting list for this beauty.

I will be visiting NY, NJ, Baltimore, Washington DC, Miami, Las Vegas, SF and LA.

Does any of you guys know if there is a chance for me to get this guitar in any of these places or near by?

Thanks in advance,
Gil.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Welcome, Gil.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Check via the web on any new or slightly-used instruments that might be around and contact the sellers to establish the possibiity of you wiring them a deposit (refundable?) and picking the instrument up next month.

2. Google the model number as I just did and find which dealers may have one in stock; try to do a deal with them long-distance and pick it up on your trip. You might have to add a stop to your itinerary or have one shipped to whaere you're staying.

3. (Last resort) Call Ed Roman in Las Vegas, who always has a lot of Ricks in stock. He may have one or two, but the price may make you shiver.

Just don't let him talk you into painting it green or pink or something. And try to avoid gold-plated hardware. It's a Rickenbacker, not a pinkie ring with strings.

Now my fellow Forumites will tell you who has one in stock.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Welcome to the forum, Gil. I've checked my inventory...... no 360/12C63, I'm afraid. Damn!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have found a few places where it might be available (they don't say if they have it or not).
A used guitar would be great as well, if anyone hears of any - you know my name, lookup the number ;)

B.t.w - Paul, do you know how much Ed might want for it?

Thanks.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

How many arms and legs do you have, Gil? I'm guessing he'll take the lot!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

Have any C series 12's shipped yet? The other option is a 360/12v64 if you can find one of those.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

A few have shipped and have been quickly bought up.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Gil, I am assuming that Ed would have one or more, since he claims to always have several dozen Ricks in stock, and pictures bear this claim out.

Check his website, or dial him up. He's not good at e-mails.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks again guys,
I'll call Ed soon.
Getting this guitar is a rare opportunity for me:
In Israel - taxes are a "bit" annoying, add %12 import tax and %16.5 VAT on top of that (sometimes they tax you according to the retail cost... bastards...) so it means it needs to be carried to (try and) avoid the tax.
I can't ask anyone to carry such a beast for me and a trip to the US is (unfortunately) not so common for me...

Let's hope Ed won't completely vaporize my bank account ;)
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

Gil - I wish you good luck on finding a 360/12C63 in stock at any shop here in the States. Just saying that all the good places took advance orders years ago and those few that have been shipped were bought and paid for long ago. And most of the rest that are coming are already spoken for on a L-O-N-G waiting list of prepaid buyers. To find one in a shop for sale would be a miracle.

I'd probably have one now if I'd had the money to buy one back around the turn of the century. ;-)

That said, a couple weeks ago I located a '92 360/12v64 that I jumped on. It's not a C series, but I don't care - the detail differences between the C63 and V64's don't matter much to me. Especially considering the price differences...

Since you've got a month before your trip, I'd suggest doing a search on www.gbase.com. That's how I found mine. And they do pop up every once in a while - but they don't last long.

I just lucked out in finding mine, and got some great recommendations from online friends about the store it came from, and after that it was a matter of a couple phone calls. Then the next morning I was playing it...

Best of luck to you!
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I just finished calling all the stores I could google for,
They all laughed a little bit when they heard I want it next month ;)
Ed Roman said he won't have one til 06'...
In any case - I put an order in music123.com, they don't charge any downpayment and got into the waiting list... (somewhere between a year and three years...)

Hopefully something would jump sooner...

Thanks for the help and the moral support guys!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, Gil, we tried to help.

I suspect that one will come up somewhere, slightly used, before you here from Music 1,2,3...

Who are saying "April 16" as an arrival date, incidentally...
― Kurt Vonnegut
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I really hope so... :|
Here goes my dream... :|

Thanks again people.
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

I think Steve wins "best first post" award. He has stumped the best and the brightest of the RIC world.

On the RIC site the word replica is used a lot. Thesaurus says: carbon, carbon copy, clone, companion, coordinate, copy, copycat, correlate, counterfeit, counterpart, counterscript
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

Wrong thread.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”