Those who flock to The Byrds
anonymous

The Byrds on VHS or DVD ???

Post by anonymous »

Does anyone know if there is any video on The
Byrds or on Roger himself ???
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Roger has an instructional video. I suspect that you could also get footage of a Byrds show at any of the vintage guitar shows where those guys have concert footage of everyone who ever played anywhere. I bet there is a VHS tape someplace of the McGuinn/White/Battin/Fowler line-up.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Make that McGuinn/White/Battin and Gene Parsons
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Who'se Fowler?? Maybe you mean Battins' friend Kim Fowley??Zappa had the Fowler brothers in his band.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

The original Byrds were on the Ed Sullivan show, and they played "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and "Mr. Tambourine Man". There has to be copies available on VHS somewhere. Footage of the Byrds from that performance are on the "Time Life 60s CD collection" commercial just about every night around here! That's a good live version of "Turn! Turn! Turn!" on the Sullivan show too. The drums have a kick.

Also, I know for darn certain that there is classic footage of the Byrds out there. Once I was in a video store and came across a video that said "Shindig", or something like that. The Byrds were on it, and I think the Kinks were too. Several other groups were on this VHS tape as well. So, of course I rented it, took it home, and watched it. It was cool, and I remember laughing wildly about McGuinn's hair flopping around like CRAZY as he played the lead guitar riff on "Feel A Whole Lot Better". It was cool.

I bet there's some info concerning videos in Johnny Rogan's book about the Byrds. Just about everything "Byrds" you can think of is mentioned in that thing (even some things that probably shouldn't be mentioned... nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Don - I was thinking of Kim...

Lee - I just looked in the back of Rogan's latest revised tome and there's nary a word on video. Not even in the index.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Thanks everyone,

I'll pick up the Johnny Rogan book.
I have the instructional video (which is great)
I just got it last week.
That shindig video sounds pretty cool too.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Odd, I'm slogging through Rogan's brick of a book and I'm up to the Gram Parson's bailing just prior to the South Africa tour timeframe.

Anyway - I finally DID find a section on VIDEO in the back. Rogan claims that there are no "official" videos out there on the Byrds however he then goes on to list a page and a half of TV appearances which (potentially) could still be floating around someplace on tape.

I went to a TV Museum in NYC a couple of years ago that had the ability to let you sit at a computer, pull up a TV show/series and watch it there on the spot. I pulled up several old Buffalo Springfield TV appearences.

On another note (and I suppose I always knew this) but Crosby (while gifted) was an arrogant *** (at least based on the quotes attributed to him in many of the books I've read about him).

God bless him and I love his music, been to many solo shows of his prior to him slipping into darkness, but there are other people in the world who can hold a candle to him... ;-)
beatbyrdie

Post by beatbyrdie »

Hi folks,

I'm a 15 years old guy from Switzerland, and I love the music of the sixties! Especially the Beatles and the Byrds!

I have a few records of the Byrds, and the Johnny Rogan biography and another Byrds-Biography in german!

I also have a DVD: The Complete Monterey Festival 1967!
You can see and hear the Byrds with: Chimes Of Freedom, He Was A Friend Of Mine and Hey Joe!
You can also see and hear the Buffalo Springfield with David Crosby with: For What It's Worth!

bye

Dennis

P.S: I'm sorry 'bout my english!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Beatbyrdie. What is your favourite performance on the Complete Monterey Festival DVD? And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with your English.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatbyrdie

Post by beatbyrdie »

I'm very happy to have found a Byrds forum ;-) !

My favourite performance on the Monterey is ..hmm... THE BYRDS! They're my favourite group (with the Beatles)! buffalo Springfield, Jimi Hendrix...and all the others are also good... it's the feeling of Monterey!!! do you understand?
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Hey Dennis -

Welcome!

Your English is much better than my German or French.

I remember seeing the Monterey film years ago.

G
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

I have just bought a "Byrds Special Edition E.P." on DVD here in the U.K. It has four tracks "Black Mountain Rag", "So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star", "Chestnut Mare" and "Eight Miles High". The recordings date from 1971/72. It comes from DTS, subtitled ClassicPictures, catalogue number DVD6094X.
The Searchers are the best!
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

I have recently bought a new 'Byrds' DVD titled "Never To Be Forgotten". It is actually the CRY (Gene Clark-Pat Robinson-John York) band augmented by Rick Roberts and Nicky Hopkins. The show took place at Doc Severinsen's Music Showplace on January 24th 1986. John York is playing a semi-solid 12-string but the lead guitarist - Billy Darnell plays a Rickenbacker 12-string on all The Byrds' hits the group played that night. The DVD comes from Germany.
The Searchers are the best!
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Hey Timothy. How does it sound? I have a video clip of the 1988 version of Gene's band from "Solid Gold", doing "Mr. Tambourine Man". Good version, BIG hair. Seen the dvd, "Never To Be Forgotten", on ebay and I've been wondering if I should buy it. Is it worth picking up?

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”